Forum home Family life & relationships Childcare & work

Welcome to our Setting up a home business webchat

Many mums see starting a family as a chance to switch direction workwise - maybe now's the time you'd like to go it alone in business? If you're thinking about setting up a home-based business, Here's the chance to ask expert Emma Jones, from www.enterprisenation.com, all about it.
Welcome Emma, thanks for giving us your time today.
BabyExpertmembers, please start posting your questions now!

Replies

• Hi Emma,
    What benefits are you entitled to when you are self employed?

Thanks
    Claire
  • Hello webeditor!

Thanks for inviting me on to your webchat.

I'm here and looking forward to receiving questions. Ask me anything about starting or growing a business from home.

Emma
  • Hi Claire,

When you ask 'benefits' do you mean, what expenses can you claim etc?

If so, you can claim a percentage of your heat/lighting/telecoms costs if you're running a business from home. This reduces your tax bill. You can also claim travel costs which regular commuters can't. Add to this the fact that it's cheaper to start up at home, anyway, and you can see the benefits mount!

Emma
  • Hi Emma,
    I'm thinking about setting up a web-based business but have no idea how to go about sourcing product from eg China or india. How would I go about doing this do you think?
    Thanks
  • Hi Flamenca

We've profiled lots of home busineses who source from overseas (bellevue tea source from Sri Lanka, Egyptian lingerie and Peruvian knitwear) the one thing all these businesses have in common is that they had a local contact.

Research the local market carefully and ask lots of questions on the reputation and reliability of yuor supplier before you commit.

If you get to the stage of signing a contract, do it on a trial basis.

Hope this helps and feel free to check out the features of these companies I mention here. They've had great success in sourcing from outside the UK. Do your homework well is the best advice I can offer - and chat with UK Trade International for references.

Emma
  • That's really helpful - thanks. Do you know whether there are likely to be any issues eg with local authorites/tax/home insurance if I'm using a shed or garage at my house for storage of products?
  • Emma, We've also received the following question from one of our users called ali:

Hi Emma, if I want to work from home do I have to take out any extra insurance? I'm thinking about becoming a childminder but am worried about any extra cost. Also, what about if I use my car do I have to notify my insurance company? Thanx ali
  • Another good question!

In terms of planning permission, you have to ask yourself 5 basic questions that will determine if you need permission. Essentially, your local council want to know if you will become a nuisance to your neighbours and if the character of your house will change from a residence to business premises. If you are planning to run an online business from a shed or room in the house, you'll probably be fine and not need permission.

I do suggest that people add business insurance to their home policy. It doesn't cost much and keeps you safe. You will need it if your storage goods as protection.

Emma

• Hi Emma,

In terms of a web based business do you have any recommendations of the first steps, and any common problems I should try to avoid? Also are there any statistics regarding what type of web business has the most success?

Many thanks.
  • Ali

See part of the response to Flamenca above!

We wrote a dedicated feature on the site, on how to set up as a childminder. You will need to tell your insurance company (but it's not a huge additional cost to have business insurance) and you'll also need to do a health & safety check as you will have children on your premises.

In terms of using your car for business, no, you don't need to tell the insurer but you can claim travel expenses and why not get the car sign-written so you can use it as a marketing tool too?!

Emma
  • Ali - here is the feature we ran on becoming a childminder from home http://www.enterprisenation.com/detail/Set_up_as_a_homebased_childminder/334/1.aspx
  • Hello LizB

Yes, I do have recommendations on the first steps to start a web business - and, to not be too pushy but the steps are all laid out in my book! They are:

- find your idea (spot a gap in the market, do something you love or do something better than someone else)
    - research the market and tell others about your idea to get their feedback
    - write a brief business plan
    - make your first sale
    - and then market yourself like crazy

When you've got an online business, you can focus your efforts on marketing yourself online - through linking with other sites, starting a blog that will improve your google rankings and doing things like this - appearing in webchats etc.

As for businesses that are doing well online - there are many! Some of my favourites are arts/crafts (check out etsy.com), anything that can be retailed and food.

As a final note, you might want to start out by setting up a shop on someone else's site eg etsy.com or eBay. This is a great way to test the market.

Emma
  • Hi Emma

I would like to start up a home business, but have always been more creative than business minded and so wouldn't really know where to start!

Do you think a small business course would be beneficial and if so, how I go about finding a good part-time one?

Thanks in advance.

• Hello RLH2007,

If you are creative and have a creative idea, then the business stuff will follow. I always tell people to do what they love as you'll do it well and that will attract more & more customers.

But yes, you might benefit from a business course. You can check these out on sites like www.businesslink.gov.uk - if you want to tell me in which area you live, I could try and locate something that's local to you.

HM Revenue & Customs also run courses for business start-ups.

And take a look at our website. There are some basic business guides for anyone in the early stages of starting up.

Best wishes with your plans.
    Emma
  • Thanks Emma, that's great.
  • Hi Emma,
    Thanks for all these great pointers. You've really inspired me!
    Any tips on networking? I think I've spotted a gap in the market and reckon I should be able to sell both through my own website but also through other high street stores. When's the best time to approach them - after I've already started selling for myself or before then?
  • Flamenca

Sounds like you're at an exciting point.

Any tips on networking? Do lots of it! Especially at the beginning as you need to get yourself seen and known in all the right places. But bear in mind that the secret to successful networking is not talking about yourself, but listening to others. Ask people about their story, and they'll be interested in yours.

The best time to approach stores? When you have the inkling of a product or idea. Make the first sale as soon as you can as this will get you up and running _and_ it is one of the most thrilling feelings you'll ever have!

Emma
  • Hi Emma

Thank you so much for your quick and thorough response.

I live in the North West Kent area and work in central London so either areas would be easily accessible for me.

Also are there any government bodies that offer grants on application or contribute towards funding as encouragement to self-starters?

• Hello again

I'm speaking at a Business Link lunch in Kent on Friday 4th July, if you can make it! Grant assistance and help usually goes on your postcode area so do check out Business Link Kent - they seem keen on encouraging home businesses. And yes, they can also tell you about grants.

In my experience, there are not too many grants skewed towards starting a business from home but there was a great competition in the Northeast called YouTrade where winners received ??2,000 in IT prizes for starting an online business at home - we're trying to encourage other areas to do the same!

Emma
  • It's 1pm and I'd love to stay for longer but my chat time is up.

It was a pleasure talking to you and I hope you turn those ideas into home business reality. It's a great way of working!

Please feel free to visit me and the home business team at www.enterprisenation.com

Bye!
    Emma Jones