Forum home Family life & relationships Childcare & work
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

when to look for childcare?

im planning on going back to work 6 months after having baby (which may well change!!)

have read a few articles about childcare which say you should start looking for places as soon as possible...well how soon is soon?

im not due till aug, so would probably be looking for childcare from feb next year.... theres a couple of childminders locally who take young babys, but only one at a time.......

does anyone know when would be best to approach them? as soon as the baby is born?

gosh all seems so haertless to be thinking of packing him/her off before they're even born!!

Replies

• It is best to be prepared, alot of the places are fully booked and you want a smuch choice as possible, I would try phoning around and see what they say.
  • I agree with sillymoo, one of the nurseries near to me didn't have any places left and advised to put the baby's name down on a waiting list! The nursery we chose didn't work out as i thought the security wasn't all that great, so we moved Imogen to another nursery but they said they were starting to get really busy as its situated on a business park and new offices had just been occupied so there had been an influx of children. Also childminders only take 1 baby in their care so it's probably best you look straightaway. Good luck with the rest of your pregnancy. x x
  • My lo is 13 weeks old and we looked round a nursery 2 weeks ago for a December start. It did feel horrible going round so soon but i know someone who struggled to find a childminder for her 8 month old so I was worrying a bit.

For babies under 2 they have to have more staff (1 to every 3 babies) which is why a lot of them can get booked up quickly.

Its probably worth at least speaking to a nursery if you have one in mind because they can give you an idea of how busy they are. The one we want to take lo to said that chances are they won't be booked up but we plan to go in May with him for an hour or so to spend some time there before reserving a space. That will mean his name is down 6 months before he goes but I know I'll feel better not worrying about having to rush to find him a space, and knowing he can go toour most convenient nursery (so long as we are still happy with it)
  • good idea to start looking early, a local nursery had an open day so we went for a look around when i was still pregnant! We put Jacks name down about 3 months before he was due to start, which was fine. it's a lovely nursery and between us and the bus stop so v handy. i would definately start checking out your options now in case places get booked up. the nursery manager says she is turning 10-15 people away a week at the mo!!!