Forum home Family life & relationships Childcare & work
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Anyone struggling working full time and being a mum?

i've been back at work since 24th March. I love being back, it's great being me again not just mummy. Summer is in nursery and absoultely loves it. it's doing her really well and you notice the difference in her. For example she had no interest in crawling but now crawls and stands etc. Anyway i'm really struggling to work full time and being a mum. Some nights Summer doesn't sleep well so i can be up for a few hours then she wakes early etc. My oh is no help. Anyway for the last few weeks i have been feeling run down and eventually i went to the dr's yesterday and saw the nurse. i have a high temp, sore throat, ear's blocked, glands are up and i generally feel like crap. she's given me some antihistimans (sp) and paracetomol to get temp down and told me to rest. She advised me to take the week off and try and get good nights sleep (i did laugh what with a 10 month old)). i'm now feeling really guilty that i'm not a work and admiting i'm struggling to cope. Is there anyone feeling like me?

Replies

• Options
    Hi

Im not due back to work for another two weeks, so I can't empathise with you on that, although I can share your fear about coping. Iim worried about how I am going to cope too. I have recently been made redundant but have luckily found another job, but now I will be leaving my son in nursery all day and going to a job where I don't know anybody, and I have to learn how to do the job, so feel like the pressure is really on. Im also worrying about what work will say if my son gets ill and I have to take time off, and also if I will perform badly due to lack of sleep as like you say babies can still wake up from time to time and break your sleep.
    So you are not alone in worrying about coping. Im sure all mums in this position worry too.
    Im sure you will cope fine, and as Summer gets older and more settled, and you get into a good routine things will pan out just fine. I wouldn't be so hard on yourself. Being a mum is a tough job on its own without the added pressure of work.

Is it an option to let the grandparents have summer overnight for just one night so you can have a good long sleep?? Or maybe sleep in the day whilst summer is at nursey and don't go back to work until you are feeling okay again. Don't feel guilty about being off work. You are ill, simple as. Would you have felt guilty for being off work sick before you had Summer? Us mums get ill too from time to time just the same as everyone else, so work will have to accept that.

Hope you are feeling much better soon.
  • Options
    hi

Yeah im stuggling too, although olivia goes to my mums and my partners mums my partner works away all week so when i get home at 6 i have to start again! its trying to stay on top of everything at home too. nightmare
  • Options
    Oh My God yes, I thought it was just me! My son is 26 months old and I've been back at work since he was 9 months. However, I've only recently gone back fulltime, until recently I was only working 3 /4 days a week, and found having at least one day a week gave me chance to sleep when he was sleeping, and catch up with housework. It doesn't help that my travel to work is a bit of a nightmare, plus I have to leave work early to be at the nursery by the time it closes so have to be in early! I leave the house at 7.30 most mornings, and don't get home til 6.30, then i have to sort LO out, do some housework and eventually eat dinner. I'm not having dinner til about 8 and then going to bed at 9, so my days are very long and busy, and feel like I'm not getting anytime to myself. My hubby is a chef so works long hours, he starts at 9 and quite often works til midnight, but even on the two days he is off and has LO while i go to work, when I get home he thinks it's then my turn to take over because he's had him all day!

I'm also finding having LO in nursery an extra day is really starting to cost, even though he only goes three days it's still over ??500 which is nearly half my wages!

Due to all of the above I'm not in work today as going for an interview at lunchtime for a new job, which is less days and hopefully I'll get to work from home! I'm really hoping I get it, because I don't know how much longer I can keep doing this, I'm exhausted all the time, and never want to do anything on weekends - my friend text me last night about coming over for a pizza and dvd on Saturday but I turned her down because I know I'm going to be so tired and will want to go to bed early! It's even affecting my social life!!

So yes I completely understand your concerns!
  • Options
    I'm loving my new business from home, I have no stock to buy no doors to go knock just me !!!nand it is so rewarding in many ways and is securing a financial future for my kids xxxxxx anyone interested send me a message it is a chance of a lifetime xxxxxxxxx
  • Options
    And I'm pregnant with my 3rd xxxxx
  • Options

I think we should all congratulate ourselves as women and mothers! We truly have alot on our plates and I think our men still don't really understand what it is like for us.We are employees and mothers and our brains never shut off! We think of everything! ANSWER? Not sure, but to congratulate our efforts, compliment and support each other would help. Also, don't judge or 'bitch' about other women- whether they are working mothers or not. I have been both and they are both hard....