Forum home Family life & relationships Childcare & work

Returned to work - Wage issues! Venting Anger!

Hi, I've just returned to work after having my 9 months of paid ML. I have worked for this company for 8 years...before I went onto ML my job position was 'Lead Agent' (supervisor role) working shifts that included nights & I was on ??16,500. As I now only want to work part-time and day shifts (I chose Mon & Tues 08:30-17:00 so 16hrs a week) I had to take a demotion & pay cut, my pay cut was to my pay before my promotion which I thought was fair...although I would ideally want my supervisor postion as part-time day shifts but they wouldn't accomodate it. image(
Anyway, today I have been told that my wages won't be what they said - they will be less! Head Office have said that a new position has been created for me therefore my wages should be that of a new starter! So I was told I would be on ??5734.02 but now I will be on ??5000 which is ??6.01 an hour - isn't that minimum wage?! (I'm 27yrs old). I am so fuming, my boss isn't happy either - she has told her boss who made this decision that they will probably lose me & that having to hire a new member of staff will cost the company more than honouring my old pay...I have spoken to some friends & ACAS briefly and from what I can make out my work are breaking the law as I have a letter stating that my pay would be ??5734 when I return...so they can't cut it more can they?
I makes me really angry & I feel so undervalued...you put alot of effort to be the best...I worked hard...& then they just screw you over! AHHHHHHHHHHHHH!
Well I guess I'll be looking for a new job! I didn't want to but I work on a switchboard and going back to just sitting there answering calls when I could be doing so much more in my old position is driving me nuts - my boss did say that if I still wanted to have my old job back then it is available as they won't be permantly covering it for another few months but doing that and having a baby and a whole new way of life to before I just don't see it working. They don't have any other P-T jobs going either in the different departments.
Why do we bother? ne of my friends said I would probably be better off not working and just claiming benefits (which I wouldn't mind) but it's just so sad that I could be better off claiming benefits than working!
:x
Any advice re kicking some ass would be greatful, should I go to see someone at the CAB?
Thanks,

Replies

• Hello...just popping my head in

If they have written you a letter, stating your wages when you start back and have written it like a small contract i dont think they can change it. speak to manager on that one.
    the minimum wage is something like ??5.31, however when you have been working there 8 years i would be leaving if my wage got dropped to ??6.01. When i was 18 i was earning ??6.56 at boots, so i definately wouldnt be happy with that rate per hr! hope you get it sorted. Not the sort of stress you need to be dealing with.

chin up, sorry im not much help xxx
  • Thanks for the reply.
    I've realised that I'd also be on less money than people I have managed and staff who started after me!
    Do they think I am stupid?!
    Also, my dad had to take one of his employers to a work tribunal & a past boyfriend did to - they both won their cases, so I am well prepared to follow this through to the bitter end - if it goes that far!
    How worthless can they make you feel?!
  • This kind of thing really gets me angry. I can't believe companies 'think' they can treat you like this and get away with it. I've never had any experience with this kind of stuff, but I wish you every success in suing the pants off them! Then take their money and go find a job in a supermarket, Boots or John Lewis or somewhere with good staff discount. You'd probably be paid about the same (although I don't know how much) but with a good staff discount, if you buy all your groceries from there, might work out even better and you'd know the bargains before anyone else!
    When I get stressed, I have thought of doing this!
  • Update - it is still ongoing! I have had a meeting with HR to vent my complaint in full...I'm now fighting to get my supervisor position p-t as I found out that another member of staff was granted this a couple of years ago so although they said they would be setting a precedence by granting me this, they have already done it...so why can't I have it?!

I have been thinking about getting another job, something in retail...I just have to decide which staff discount would benefit me the most! I would so love to get discount at NEXT - all those gorgeous kids clothes, but I think a supermarket job would be a more sensible bonus...I always wanted to go on 'Supermarket Sweep'! lol!
  • Hi, new update!
    Just had a response today that my grevience has been concluded & they have agreed to honour my pay as agreed! (I guess they realised they hadn't a leg to stand on!)
    So I've got what I initially wanted - the pay I had been told I was getting...I won't be getting my old position p-t though, booooooo!
    But I don't care as I've found out I'm pregnant again (planned!) & I won't have to be there for too long! lol!
  • im glad its worked out good for you !

NB: john lewis staff discount is shit ! i worked there as a christmas temp, and found out that to get a staff discount, id have to work there for a year, starting from being hired permanently, so actually you have to work 1 year 3 months just to get a 12.5% discount, and 3 years to get 20%. they pay minimum wage and its almost impossible to get a pay rise or promotion.

m&s you get 25% staff discount straight away, promotions and pay rises are there for all to be had ! lol.

not sure bout anywhere else tho!
  • im glad its worked out good for you !

NB: john lewis staff discount is shit ! i worked there as a christmas temp, and found out that to get a staff discount, id have to work there for a year, starting from being hired permanently, so actually you have to work 1 year 3 months just to get a 12.5% discount, and 3 years to get 20%. they pay minimum wage and its almost impossible to get a pay rise or promotion.

m&s you get 25% staff discount straight away, promotions and pay rises are there for all to be had ! lol.

not sure bout anywhere else tho!
  • Good on you frag_jones. I'm so happy for you, especially your new pregnancy. Congratulations image Well, your company will have to pay you maternity again, so double bonus!!!!!!!
  • well i work for McColls the newsagents as a supervisor and i get 5.72 and hour!!!!!!!!!! even though i have done my managers training,i have been there for 9 years and they treat all there staff like crap,managers also,my oh gets paid more than my manager on a 35 hour week! i have to work 14 hours by myself because we dont have enough hours to pay 2 staff for the hours the shop is open and my new manager it a total twat!!!! i do however love my job and customer if it wasnt for the fact i walk to work so it saves my money i would have left that place along time ago!!! sorry for the rant but being hones ti could go on lolimage