Forum home Family life & relationships Childcare & work
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

maternity rights

hello all i was wondering if anyone could help

my friend is pregnant and has worked for the same company for 2 years.
she does not want to contiue working after her baby is born, but as she is on her own, is scared if when she is due to go back to work, she doesnt, then they will claim it back from her.
is thre any way round this, and if she did go back to work, how long would she have to work for before she could leave, to ensure that she still keep her maternity pay?

many thanks
xx

Replies

• She will only have to pay back what the company gives as 'extra' anything beyond the 90% for the first 6 weeks and SMP.. These are not due back as they are Statutory minimum.

A friend of mine had an exceptional package during maternity leave and didnt want to return to work- but had to repay some if (as written in her contract) anyway, she returned for 12 weeks and then left... they couldnt do a thing.

I think the common question i am always asked is what is statutory i.e non-returnable - lol...

SMP (??117 per week) is paid to all employees who have worked for their employer for 26 weeks at the 15th week before the baby is due.... The first six weeks of the maternity leave is 90% of their pay and then onto SMP...

Oooh i hope this makes sense x
  • As far as I know my contract states that I have to return to work for 13 weeks or I have to pay money back.
  • you know the 90% of your earnings for 1st six weeks then smp after do you qualify for that if you've been there over 6 months but under a year?
  • you have to work for an employer for 26 weeks at the 15th week before the baby is due..... Maybe check out their own maternity scheme?
  • It all depends what your Contract and Terms and Conditions say.