Forum home Family life & relationships Childcare & work
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

From full time to part time

I am due to go back to work in may after being on mat leave for a year.

i only want to go back part time (3 days a week), i've told my boss this and she said she has to talk to our HR dept.

i was just wondering if anyone has had any problems going from full time to part time, and what they did about it. if they say i cant go back full time then i'm not going to go back at all, but i'm just worried about paying back may maternity leave pay.

i know there is a website that can give you advise on such things does anyone know it???

Replies

• hi there. sorry not sure of the website but i know your work place has to seriously consider giving you partime hours. even though they dont have to agree to it. my boss was quite good and i now work 3 days a week which suits us great. as far as i know you do not have to pay back mp if you decide not to go back. good luck.xxx
  • Hi

www.direct.gov.uk is good, www.citizensadvice.org.uk is also very good, there is a facility on there where you can email a question and an advisor will give you an individual response.

As Angielisa says, your employer does need to seriously consider your request, and if the choose to deny it they must have good reason. You won't have to pay back any SMP, however if your company has a boosted maternity package, they may ask you to pay back the extra.

Hopefully it isn't an issue, your boss may just be covering her back in case she does anything wrong or something like that. x

• hi thanks for your replies, in the past when a someone came back from maternity leave part time the boss made it very difficult for her and she ended up leaving. though i now have a different boss who is really good and understanding i wouldnt put it past a higher boss to try and make things difficult. thanks again for your replies x
  • the workplace has to do what you want to do because it is within the law.i went from 39hrs to 26.5hrs they were fine about it and i gave them the hours that i wanted to do.so let me know if u hv any trouble x
  • the workplace has to do what you want to do because it is within the law.i went from 39hrs to 26.5hrs they were fine about it and i gave them the hours that i wanted to do.so let me know if u hv any trouble x