Forum home Family life & relationships Childcare & work
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

soon to be working mum...scared!

hello ladies, my names kayley and i've a gorgeous 5mnth boy called harry. I'm due to return to work at the start of july. Im returning part time so theres lots confusing and worrying me, if anyone can help i'd be so greatful for your experiances of returning to work. how was leaving babies with childcare-were yor babies distressed or ok, was it awful leaving them for first time? i'm only on a low wage part time but my partner earns fairly well but is self employed so his finances are unsteady, anyone know what i may be entitled too? thanks...
kayley xxx

Replies

• Options
    Hi kaylery- my lo is 5 months too! born dec 3rd - how about harry?
    my eldest was a lot older when i left him in childcare and yes it is confusing for them but they adapt really quickly. my lo is now nearly 3 and loves going. when i stopped work i kept him going because he loves it so much. his childminder adores him and he her, he gets to play with great toys and play with his friends all day!
    the first 2 days were awful and I cried after i'd walked away!
    my childminder keeps a book of everything that happens and she said he did cry on and off all day the first time. I'd rather know the truth then her saying he was fine as soon as i left! she also takes photos of him for my book and there were photos of him on his 1st day smiling at her so I knew it would be ok!
    try entitledto.com and the inland revenue website as they both have tools to help you work out what you may be entitled to. you may be entitled to working tax credit as well as child tax credits and also help toward paying for childcare. your ohs income will be based on what his actual earnings were for the last tax year but you can adjust this if they will be hugely less (or more!) I think I'm repeating myself from the other thread we wrote on now so sorry!!
  • Options
    Thankyou, will look on those websites and see what they can tell me, Harry was born on Nov 30th (9 very long days late lol!) so he's 3 days older then your lo! i'm actually worrying a little less about returning to work now anyway, i know he'll be well looked after as i work in the same building! The financial worries were making me stress about everything! I'm a nursery nurse myself so although i wont be ooking after Harry myself he'll only be up a set of stairs in case of emergency! I feel silly now though as in my job i see mums getting distressed about leaving their children all the time and always just though 'silly mare' and now i understand!...now i'm waffling on...!