Forum home Family life & relationships Childcare & work
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Am I making the wrong decision?

Hiya,

I need a bit of advice... My LO is 10 months and I was due to go back to work in Jan. I have really struggled with the idea of going back to work, even for the min of 16hrs/week, however our intention is to try for a 2nd, so it makes sense for me to stay working so that I can get my maternity pay (my employer offers a very good maternity package). Anyway, I went into work yesterday to discuss my return date and part time hours, only to be greeted with the news that they are closing our office and all 200+ staff will be made redundant between now and Dec 2012!!

If I am honest, I have always been of the opinion that I would welcome redundancy as I have worked for the company for a long time and my package would be in excess of ??10k, not bad when I don't even want to work there.

So basically, in order for me to benefit to this extent I need to go back to work full time instead of the 16hrs I was planning! I have the option to go back part time, but obviously my pay-out will be pro-rata and significantly less.

Therefore me and hubby have agreed that I will go back full time until they give me the option of voluntary redundancy (likely to be offered in about 12 months) or until I fall pregnant again.... but I feel terrible :cry:

My LO will be in a nursery 2 days a week, with my Mum one day and I will work a Saturday so that my OH can have her and we can save on child care costs.

The money will allow me to stay at home for a lot longer once we have a 2nd and so I know that it'll be short term pain, for a long term gain.... but need a bit of support on the whole going back to work thing, how hard is it REALLY??? Am I making the wrong decision just for the sake of money????:\?

Replies

• Options
    I think iits defintely worth it...could you get pregnant sooner than planned so the time away is less???
  • Options
    Ive just gone back to work full time at the beginning of January my lo is now 10 months old my weeks is

mon - lo in nursery 8-6 i work from home

tues - drop lo off at my mums who takes him to nursery and i pick him up from my mums

wed -auntie

thurs - drop lo off at my mums who takes him to nursery and i pick him up from my mums

Fri - auntie

its hard work im up at 6 and wake lo up at half past to be out of the house by 6.40 tues-fri as i have to do my pony as well.Mondays are a lot less stressful and i can do the pony without lo, as i can on weds/fri nights and i generally pay someone to do the pony at least one night a week.

I make sure i have got clothes, lunches for both of us sorted the night before when lo is in bed and i always have quick easy meals during the week soup/stir fry/jacket potato etc.

My OH is working away at the minute so i do everything on my own

It is hard work i find the hardest thing is trying to organise alternative childcare if lo isnt well but it is manageable and would be made much easier if i didnt have a 1-1 1/2hr commute a pony and a hubby who worked away!!

I actually enjoy my time at work and lo loves nursery and ive never had any problems with him not wanting me to leave him.

I say go for it go back full time, short time loss for long term gain!!
  • Options
    Hi hun

I think it will be hard initially for you especially if its a job you don't like and more hours, but i think that you are actually really lucky that your mum can have LO one day and hubby one day. Not only does that save on your expenses but also will make you feel less resentful about being back F/T.

Like the others have said, short term pain for long term gain! Just think of how you can spoil your LO and newborn with 10k! Worth the sacrifice!