Forum home Family life & relationships Childcare & work
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

We got our own place so lets see whos a WM

I'm beebee, 32 with one son called Sonny born May 08. I went back to work full time on Jan 7th but am doing reduced hours for a few months whilst lo gets settled at his childmimders & I get back int he swing of things image

I have also just signed up for an OU degree so expect to quite a bit busier from now on but as my lo goes off to bed at 7 without a fuss & with an oh who is very supportive & doesn't like to go out I will have time at wekeends & evenings to do this. Sadly my tv watching will have to be neglected cause somethings got to give so I will no longer be the world champion sci fi tv programme geek I am now image

Replies

• Hi i'm a working mum, i have a daughter who is 2 & i am 28 pregnant with No2 a boy due in april. i work full time at the mo, am due to start maternity in march & come back to work in november full time (although i will be using hols to put me at 4 days per week till xmas).

• I'm a wm but on mat leave with my third lo until Sept when I'll go back full or part time, depending on whether hubby gets a deputy headship or not!
  • I'm Donna and soon to be a wm!! Poppy is 20 weeks old today and I am going back full time on April 1st. I had wanted to go back part time but my company won't let me and to be honest I don't think my finances would either!
    I'm currently seeing childminders to try and find someone I want to put my daughter with - it's hard!
    xx
  • I'm Shelley, 24 and Carley is 22 weeks. I'll be going back to my current job in a supermarket part time, as I have to for at least 3 months or I owe them a fortune! After that the plan is for me to find a full time job instead of OH as I have the higher earning potential. He is gonna become a househusband! Somedays I love the idea, somedays I hate it but I figure I'm gonna hate going back at all it wont matter whether it's full or part time! I just consider myself so so so lucky that if I do go back full time we can afford for OH to stay at home, those of you looking for childminders etc. have my sympathy, it must make a difficult situation even harder!!
  • Hi, I'm Michelle 29 and Summer is just over 6 months old. I am on maternity leave at the moment but returning to work full time on the 25th March. Looking forward to getting back to work so i'll be Michelle again but the thought of leaving Summer is killing me. She will be going in to nursery and i know this is going to be the best thing for as she is a social baby but i am going to miss her. i have got about three photos already to put on my desk of her. God i'm so sad.

Hello to everyone!!!
  • I'm Lou, mum to Jack, nearly 10 weeks. Currently on maternity leave from the NHS, but plan to return part time in September. I'm lucky, I have a very understanding, flexible boss, who I think will let me do whatever days/nights I want to do! We'll see.
    As for childcare, my hubby and I will work our hours to enable one of us to be with Jack all the time. If overtime is an option then we luckily have both Jacks grannies nearby! x
  • Hi Stacy, what job do you do from home?
  • hi im angela. my lo is nearly 14months and i work part-time. 3days a week as a receptionist. my sil has lo for 2 days and both grannies share the other day week to week. it suits us well. i thought id hate going back to work but there is something about it i enjoy. think its the adult company.xx
  • hi i'm anna i'm 34 and my lo george is 10 1/2 months i'm going back to work 4th march after a year on mat leave, trying to sort out reduced hrs as i don't want to go back to 5 days a week on a 3 shift rota, i'm not looking forward to it they still have got to decide what job i'm going to be doing, it's all up in the air.
  • Hi. I'm Victoria. I'm 32 and my lo Ben is 14 months. I work 1 day a wk and cover holidays and sick. At the mo my lo goes to my parents while I'm at work but I'm looking for a new job with a few more definate hours so he may be going to nursery. xx
  • Hi Im Rebecca. Im 26 and my LO (Alex) is 12 weeks old. Im due back to work in July. Im hoping to go back either 3 or 4 days a week. Will put LO in nursery for 2-3 days and my mum will have him the other day depending on what we go for. I haven't asked work if I can go back part timr yet, but I don't think they will have a good enough reason to refuse.If we struggle financially then may have to return full time as hubby is being made redundant this yr image Im looking forward to some adult company again but am not looking forward to leaving my precious boy with strangers. Im sure he will get so much benefit from it, but it doesn't make it any easier x
  • Hi I'm Jo, 31 years young and my lo is Maddie 25 weeks.
    I am self employed and went back to work when Maddie was 3 weeks old (not great after c section) only work mon-fri mornings so not too bad, sadly our friend and business partner died suddenly when i was 6 months pregnant so had no choice but to go straight back to work.
    My fantastic mum looks after Maddie most mornings and she goes to nursery on Monday morning and Thursday afternoon, she started there just before Xmas and loves it but is son intent on watching all the children she wont drink her bottle! lol (getting better now).
  • I'm Tricia and have 3 kids, Lara 8, Kayla 4 and Oakley 12 weeks. I am on mat leave and due back to work in June. I am a nursery nurse and my hours are 8.15 - 4.15 so I need before/afterschool care for the 2 girls and full time care for Oakley. I've worked out that as I am part time and even with tax credits it wont be worth my while going back to the job I'm in just now as I'll end up working for about ??200 a month!!!

Looks like I'm going to have to find an evening or weekend job which I really dont want to do as it means that OH and myself will never see each other, but needs must!

I would love to work from home but wouldnt know where to start or what I would be good at - other than childminding but I really dont want to take on any more kids - 3 is enough!!
    xxx

• Hi I'm Cass, just turned 30, my lo Abigail is 6 1/2 months and this is my 2nd week back at work

At first i was guilty but she loves nursery and the smile we get when we pick her up is the best ever
  • Hi everyone, i'm mel, i'm 31 with 2 girls - Courtney is 11 yrs and Imogen is nearly 10 mths. I go back to work on mon :cry:. I'll be working 2 1/2 days a week and Imogen will be with her gran for 1 1/2 days and nursery for 1 day. I'm sort of looking forward to getting my brain in gear again as it is virtually non existent - but i am totally dreading leaving her, even though i know she'll have a great time at nursery as she loved it when we visited. She has another settling in visit tomorrow for 3 hours so fingers crossed she'll be fine image

Lovely to meet you all. x
  • hi i'm gemma, i'm 24 and single mum to two boys. ollie is almost 4 and jake is 19 months. i work two days a week and the boys go to a day nursery while i'm there.
    i'm currently trying to work out what i'm going to do in sept when ollie starts school as he will only be there 3 or 4 hours a day until after christmas so i won't be able to work! any ideas welcome!!
  • well i would if it was worth my while, i don't think i'd be any good at selling though and i don't know what else there is?
  • well i would if it was worth my while, i don't think i'd be any good at selling though and i don't know what else there is?
  • hi everyone, ive just gone back to work after having my little boy who's now 8 months. I also have 2 girls,aged 9 and 2. I'm a pre school leader and i'm really lucky cos my little ones can come to my nursery, but its still hard. i can hear my baby crying when he's hungry/tired and cant do anything about it. on the upside, since i went back, i feel like me again, like i have a purpose other than changing nappies. good to have somewhere for working mums!
  • hey, i work 5 evenings a week in a supermarket, o/h doesn't work so looks after the kids, i'm trying to get a full time job and o/h will look after the kids. if he gets a job we'd have to find a childminder and/or i'd stay part time.
    it's so confusing isn't it? and hard to know what to do for the best!!
    btw my boys are 1+4 xx.