Forum home Family life & relationships Childcare & work
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

How much do you pay for childcare?

I'm going to have to go back to work when the baby is about six months old, and I'm just starting to look around what's available childcare-wise in our area - actually spotted a nice-looking nursery two streets away from my office today!

Anyway, I don't really have any idea what's normal to pay (except I hear it's all very expensive!), so I was wondering what you all paid a day, and whether that was to a childminder or nursery?

Replies

• Options
    we pay ??620 a month for Summer to go to nursery full time, 8.30am - 5pm Monday - Friday. Some nursery's go on an hourly rate but Summer's nursery goes on day rate which is paid from 8 - 6. We get about ??100 a week from the Child Tax Credit to help towards the cost of the nursery. Hope this helps
  • Options
    I just found a nursery today for my lo, the cost for full time place 8-6 is ??758.00. I think it also depends on where you live. We are in East London
  • Options
    i went the childminder route in part due to the high cost of nursery. the ones in my area charge by the week & as lo only goes 9 till 4 I pay the cm 4 pounds per hour which works out 112 per week for 4 days, the nursery wanted to charge a full day, 8-6, 5 days a week regardless when lo went.
  • Options
    I pay ??3.00 per hour for a childminder! I was told i qualified for help with tax credits but after i took the job was told i didn't so that wasn't very helpful but my son loves the childminder and i ended up getting a different slightly better paid job so it was worth it!
  • Options
    my cm costs ??3 p/hour and we pay ??75 p/week (as he is looked after by Grandma in the afternoons). We only get a tenner p/week tax credits so really i think we would be better off putting Jamie into nursery full time and getting ??100 p/week from tax credits! It is so annoying as we are paying over ??300 p/month for childcare and only get ??40 subsidised. Grrr!
  • Options
    They work out how much tax credit you get based on your wages, if you earn a lot, you only get a little! I live in west london, a full time place here costs roughly ??850 a month! You'd think they'd sort out some affordable childcare after banging on about how many mums dont work!
  • Options
    We looked into both and nursery would be ??850 a month and c/minder is ??725 ish. We don't qualify for tax credits and we don't live in London so generally the prices for childcare are high! I know our c/minder is fab so I don't mind paying for her.
  • Options
    i work 2 days a week(monday&tuesday) my little girl mia whos 15mnth goes to nursery from 8am to 6pm its ??32 a day she gets meals n stuff there n gets taken to the park etc..so its ??64,she started in january this year she loves it...
  • Options
    We have just found a childminder and although we haven't started with her yet, she only charges ??20 per day (anytime from 8am-6pm). Obviously we supply all nappies, wipes etc but I thought this was mega cheap!
  • Options
    don't forget to check wiht your employers as you may be entitled to child care vouchers, which provide you with up to 243 gbp per person per month taxt free. As I am on a 40% tax bracket I am saving 99 pounds per month.

If both of you qaulify then you can both claim for the same child as it is based on the adult not the child.
  • Options
    My little boy goes to a childminder 2 days a week for 6 hours a day and she charges ??3.25 per hour, she takes him lots of places ie library, walks, swimming and has her own little girl aged 3 and looks after a 2 year old, she also occassionally has other children. I provide meals, nappies, but he is happy there and she is flexible about picking up etc, and do not need to book in advance.
  • Options
    Lucy goes to nursery 4 afternoons a week and I pay ??78p/w
  • Options
    I'm going for a job this afternoon that is advertised for between ??6.50 and ??7.50 per hour. if i take it i won't have to pay childcare for the afternoons as my hubby works early morning shifts and will be back early to pick up the boys.
    now i have 2 children its still ??3. per hour per child so i will be paying ??6 an hour per child. i still won't receive any help with tax credits. it seems ludicrous that i have to go and get a job because i can't afford to stay at home and care for my children but its not actually that cost effective for me to go out and get a job. i'm lucky because my husband can share the childcare while i am at work to keep costs down. once my older son starts his free pre-school sessions in september that will make things a lot easier. However, i think I will need to pay a retainer to keep his place with her over the holidays so i'm not really sure how that works!