Forum home Family life & relationships Childcare & work
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

re maternity pay in the nhs

Hi,
I work for the nhs part-time and am going on maternity leave in future.Although I plan to return to work, I'm not sure if I'll be able to as my hubby sometimes has to work away at short notice. I'm aware that if I don't return then I have to pay back my occupational maternity pay (not statutory pay).
Just wanted confirmation that I have correctly worked out the amount I might have to pay back.

first 8 weeks get full pay--90%of which is statutory maternity pay
next 18 weeks =half pay (occupational matern.pay+approx ??117.00/wk statutory matern. pay)-subsequently get stat. matern. pay

therefore if I earn approx ??1000.00/mth- for the first 8 wks I'd pay back 10% of pay=approx ??100.00/mth(as 90%=stat matern pay)=??200.00for the 8 wks
Plus approx ??500.00/mth for the following 18 wks= approx??2250

Therefore total to pay= 2250+200=2450.00
is this correct-thanks

Replies

• are you sure you have to pay this back???? I thought even if you don't go back to work and resign you don't have to pay back any maternity money. I know if I don't go back I don't have to pay anything. Think this changed in April. Best check with NHS or CAB