Forum home Family life & relationships Childcare & work
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

job interviews and pregnancy

I'm back to pick all your brains again!! I have a job interview next month and by then I will be 18wks pregnant. It's a job that really interests me and I know I can do it well, but I'm worried that the fact I'm pregnant will go against me.

I gave up my last job at 12 wks because of the physical nature (horse riding!). I'd applied for the other job before then but have only just been given an interview date. This job is only part time and I would hope to be able to do it until the end of august, the baby is due in Sep. (I'm having a problem free pregnancy so far, not even any morning sickness, and I'm making sure I keep active.) The job is seasonal (March- Oct) so I would miss the last month, which I guess is what might go against me. But I would be happy to pick the job up again next year, really it's too good an opportunity to miss!

Now legally I know I don't have to tell them I'm pregnant during the interview, but I don't want to feel I'm hiding anything. Has anybody else found themselves in this situation? How should I tell them, and at what stage during the interview? I know that if I wasn't pregnant the job would definately be mine, sorry if that sounds big headed!! I just feel that if they think I'm the best person for the job that they should give it to me, pregnant or not.

Replies

• your right, if your the right person it should not matter if you are pregnant or not. I have heard employers look for other reason's to not employ you because legally they cannot turn you away because you are pregnant. I am afraid this is one of those awkward situations were it just depends on the interviewer, if it is a larger company you might have more chance. Good luck though. I think you should go into the interview with an open mind. If it feels right to tell them then do so, but it is something you will have to determine for yourself, im afraid.
  • My advice is please try to relax and not get stressed about it! Goodness knows you really really need to chill as you are pregnant and an interview can be stressful enough (I remember almost being sick with anxiety at my last one, and I wasnt pregnant)! There is a great article here on parental rights and leave and so on http://www.bounty.com/back-to-work/work-rights/parental-leave.asp i hope that is a help too! I would recommend not saying anything in it; like you say your right for the job they will just have to deal with the news. You could always claim you didnt know! Best of luck hun, remember not to stress though, hard as it may seem xxx