Forum home Family life & relationships Childcare & work

Bit of advice please?!

Hi everyone,

My husband and I are really excited about TTC. I had my implant removed yesterday, and we are so excited about hopefully being a Mummy and Daddy soon.

However, I can't help feeling really guilty about work. I know it's terrible, and friends and family keep telling me that I have to put myself first and think about what I want (which is most definitely a baby!), but career wise, it's really bad timing. I work for a very big company, but my particular department is really small, and my superior is going on maternity leave in December, and I know that my office is going to be really stretched without her. I am relatively low on my chosen career rung, which doesn't concern me, as I know plenty of people who have managed to have careers and children, but I think that when I was employed 2 years ago, they thought that as I was young (22 then, I am now nearly 25) that I was a sure bet to be around for a while and not get married or have babies in the near future. To be fair, I never said any of that, but I can't really be blamed for wanting to settle down and have a family can I? It's always been important to me to have my children young, and I feel that I am ready now, my husband and I are very happy and settled, we've got a lovely little house which we adore, a menagerie of gorgeous animals, and both just long for a baby to share it all with!

I guess what I'm trying to find out is, whether anyone else has felt like this, and how far you can reasonably be expected to consider the affect maternity leave will have on your company? Also, do I risk irrevocably stopping my potential career development if I have a baby now? I know that legally I can't be penalised, I qualify for maternity leave, and that's that, but I am just worried that if I do have one now, that it's going to be taken really badly!

Sorry, massively long post there! image

Replies

• Hello

At the end of the day you have to think about what is right for you, not your employer, especially if they are a big company!

I work in a department of around 16 people and 6 of us are currently either pregnant or on maternity leave! It is quite a high percentage, but they have been fine with everyone.

Your employer cannot expect you to put their needs before your own personal circumstances and cannot legally penalise you. In reality, it can be difficult to continue to climb in your career after a baby, especially if you want to come back part time, but I know plenty of women who have gone on to do really well after having children. If you work for a big company you may still find there are plenty of opportunities to move upwards even on a part time basis. (I was lucky enough to come back from maternity leave into a part time secondment role which included a temporary promotion!)
  • Hun, trust me put yourself first and not a big corporate company. I work for a big company and I am worried about telling them I am pregnant but thats daft really as they expect it (Im in my late 20s and got married in the summer) so I guess this wont be a big suprise to them when I tell them.

However companies do whats best for no.1... them... and you should follow suit and do whats best for you.

Good luck TTC

xxx