Forum home Family life & relationships Childcare & work
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Returning to work....eek....

Hi there,

I just thought I would type out my worries rather than bottle them up!

I am due to return to work next month, when my baby will be 11 months old.

AAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHHH!

I have reduced my hours by working one less day a week, but due to the job I am in, the 3 days are 10 hour shifts - can I cope without him - can he cope without me?

Due to the fact we live in a small village and the local nursery cannot take him until he is 2 years old, my Hubby and I are sharing childcare between ourselves, both of us cutting down our time at work (Hubby is self employed so both incomes are affected too)

I just worry that little one won't adapt to the change, it is one heck of a change and it might come as a shock.

Has anyone else already done this, any advice?

(Plus I am still part breastfeeding as he is allergic to dairy products)

Thanks xx

Replies

• Options

Hi Alfiesmummy

What is it that you do?  My lo is fast approaching 6 months and I am dreading going back to work when she is 9 months.  I am in the process of trying to relocate my job from London to save me travel time but it is proving a nightmare and it is looking likely I will have to remain in London. I only found this out today and it's knocked me.  I just want to cry as I am going to go days without seeing my lo. 

Have you started back now?  How has it been? 

• Options

Hi there,  sorry I have been really busy so haven't had chance to come on here and reply...

I am an ambulance controller so 10hr shifts are busy and quite stressful.

I returned to work in June and after a few days of tears, I am kept busy with all the demands of my job.

Little one is doing fine, he only gets upset occasionally - and it's only when I walk in the door at night!  During the day he is really good.

I am glad that I only do the 3 days now instead of 4, as I want the time with him plus a rest from work!

Hope this helps you, if you want any more advice etc please send me a message and I will get back to you asap

Take Care xx

• Options

I went back to work with my first one so put him in day care.  I always felt like I didn't get to play with him as much as I would have liked to though.  We have a new baby girl now and luckily I have a job that I can do from home so the experience is really different.  I can really enjoy her then I just do a bit of work each time she naps, sometimes I even do work whilst she is breastfeeding lol.  

It is hard trying to juggle everything.  I look back now and think it would not have been the end of the world if I had not of gone back to work so early but at the time I felt I had to.  My perspective on life has changed alot though cos I think before like most people I was geared up to getting certain career things done my a certain time but now I realise that life is too short so you really need to have a balance and enjoy time with your family as well - the younger years are so much fun with kids and once they have gone, you cannot get them back.  Most important thing is to do what makes you happy image  

If you have to go back then baby will be fine, just do not stress as they can probably sense this - if you act normal then baby will probably just go with it as well.

• Options

Hi thanks for your reply.

I am currently looking for other jobs at the moment, the hours I work are far too long and the original help with childcare from family is not always available, so we are hoping that I can reduce hours and days very soon. 

My son is the most important thing to me, as youquite rightly said, life IS too short (I know this from losing my Mum so soon 5 yrs ago...) so we have decided that I need to find simpler work with less hours, so I can concentrate on him,  he will be our only one too so time i precious.  If things don;t work out with the jobs I apply for, we will have to look into something else like me leaving altogether for a while.

Either way we will make it work as he is our priority!