Forum home Family life & relationships Childcare & work

Returning to work....eek....

Hi there,

I just thought I would type out my worries rather than bottle them up!

I am due to return to work next month, when my baby will be 11 months old.

AAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHHH!

I have reduced my hours by working one less day a week, but due to the job I am in, the 3 days are 10 hour shifts - can I cope without him - can he cope without me?

Due to the fact we live in a small village and the local nursery cannot take him until he is 2 years old, my Hubby and I are sharing childcare between ourselves, both of us cutting down our time at work (Hubby is self employed so both incomes are affected too)

I just worry that little one won't adapt to the change, it is one heck of a change and it might come as a shock.

Has anyone else already done this, any advice?

(Plus I am still part breastfeeding as he is allergic to dairy products)

Thanks xx

Replies

• Hi There

My little man is 6 months and although I still have 5 months before I am due to return to work I know exactly how you feel. The prospect of leaving him 3 days a week (which is what I am hoping to do) scares the life out of me. I am also faced with the problem that I travel into London everyday so with my travel costs and childcare I am not even sure its worth me returning. I am currently trying to think of things I can do from home but haven't had much luck so far. Please keep us updated with your progress, will be nice to hear from someone who is going through what I will be soon and how you find it.

Good luck xx

• hi ive just returned, my LO is 9 months and ive been back 3 weeks. im also still bf. I work shifts, which has its advantages and disadvantages, my LO misses less of my time but it is exhausting being out so late and so early in the morning. Ive dropped to 3 shifts and ill be honest, im still a fish out of water at work, i feel like a have a huge baby fog in my brain and trying to get the cogs turning in my brain again has been a big stress! as far as leaving LO though, it has not been too bad. i have my mum and lo's dad doing most of it, with just one to two half days of nursery a week.

I think the positive for you is that your lo will be with you or his daddy which will be hugely reassuring to you and him. i wont lie, your ten hour days will be absolute killers and coming home to having to do bedtime etc and possible wake ups in the night is tough going. What i will say though is the reunions are amazing - i think i had taken all the endless time i had with my lo for granted - i dont now and its blissful to have those kisses and cuddles with him again when ive been away from him. Being able to breast feed him when we've missed each other is priceless.

As far as the feeding goes, i invested in a pricey pump when he was 4 months old as i was already stressing about it. Now he's down to 2 to 3 breast feeds in 24 hours (although i do put cows milk in cooking and on cereal which i know you cant do) but it is doable, and at 11 months your lo may well only be on morning and night feeds, which i guess will mean you will just need to get a bit extra for his food? freeze a bank of milk now in your freezer if you already havent done so that you have that to fall back on, and replace it on your days off. If you plan to bf beyond the year (which with your lo's allergy im guessing you might) a good pump would be an investment.

i can't say im out of the woods yet, only 3 weeks in and still a bit shocked and very tired but i dont feel the horrendous guilt everyone told me i would - my lo loves his grandma, grandpa and daddy. nursery has gone down ok - he doesnt eat much of the food (and is normally a good eater) and he can be a bit grizzley at times so i feel a little bad, but its only for 4 hours once or twice a week and i figure its his tiny little bit of independence. i hope he improves but has only been 3 times! I think i would have felt happier if my LO had been closer to the year like your LO. I dont mean to sound negative and not sure if this is much of a comfort but the shock will be yours - your LO will adapt fine xx

• Thankyou for all your help and advice, it is great to hear and I will do my best to keep in touch with how it goes! x