Forum home Family life & relationships Childcare & work

Return to work issue!

I wonder if you could help with some advise please.

My partner is currently on maternity leave but is wanting to go back with a change of working hours.

She is a beauty therapist who was doing 30 hours per, working Mondays, Wednesday, Saturdays, and Sundays. However the working days weren't stipulated in the contract. She is wanting to reduce her hours from 30 down to 24 and cover the work ideally over 3 days but is availble Mondays, Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays. She has said providing she could get childcare she would cover shifts when needed, however she cannot guarantee childcare is available other days of the week.

They seem to have been a little funny with her over this and discussions have been going on probably nearly 2 months now and she isn't due to go back until the end of March. She has had official meeting where everything was transcripted but they havent said anything out of line in then (because its official). Then they have been telephoning her, being friendly but trying to get more out of her. They said if she is willing to go on a 5 day training course within the first 3 months then they may be able to give her the 24 hours. She said she cannot leave her child for a full week becfor she is even one - this is very unreasonable. She is fully qualified in what she does, they want her to have a refresher.

I had enough of this because she is getting stressed out and she should be enjoying her maternity leave with our baby. I telephoned her manager and asked for the phone calls to stop and keep it all official in writing.

They have written back today and have declined her request. Stating that company has changed within the last 9 months, this and that, and if she cannot do the 5 day training then they will only offer her 16 hours work. If she is willing to do the training then they can do 24.

How does she stand with this. Although they have worded the letter very well I think it seems very unreasonable to me and I'm not convinced it is legal.

Thank you,