Forum home Family life & relationships Childcare & work

Deciding how many hours to work? Help!

Hi there, I am due to return to work in July when my son will be 13 months, luckily our family are able to provide child care. I am thinking about how many hours I am going to request to work, having previously been full time, I really enjoy my job, but am obviously dreading being without my son. I had always thought about working two days as financially this would work for my husband and I. But as the time is nearing, I have been thinking about how working two days per week will impact my employers. I know I need to think about what is best for our family, but can't help feeling a bit guilty that I won't be able to fulfil my role as well as before, due to being there less than half the time. I do feel lucky only having to work two days per week as I have friends who have had to return full time, and guess i am worrying too much about my employer rather than our family. I have considered how condensing half my hours into two days will work, although financially I would hardly gain a penny after tax. Has anyone else had similar feelings? I absolutely love being a mummy, and I know I won't want to be away from him a second more than I have to, but can't help feeling that I don't want to let my employers down. Silly me!

Replies

• Hi

I would say think about whether this guilt toward work will affect you and your family.

I do three days a week and due to the days off I have extra time catching up on emails, meetings are booked in for me and I have to still tell people 9 months in. It is definitely more stressful but I am just about able to justify it as I get my two days with my son.

There are times when u feel guilty and not good enough but you have to be strong.

I also weigh it up that I would rather try less hours and ease into it and there is often the possibility of increasing in time.

My son is 18 months and already I am feeling he could use 4 days at nursery. So his needs have changed too.

It's what you can live with and what your priority is but being aware of everyone's needs and how they might change.

Good luck!