Forum home Family life & relationships Childcare & work
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Work worries

Hi everyone, This is my first post so sorry if there is already a thread somewhere! I am 9wks pregnant and my partner and I are completely over the moon but I'm just so worried about telling work and stuck on what my rights are/what I'm entitled too.Iv worked for the same employer for 5 years but recently switched roles.Due to the employers policy I get put on 'probation' for 6 months - I'm only 2 months in.From what I understand they can't get rid of me for any reason other than not being good at my job but I'm worried they'll find some reason just so they can get rid.Has anyone else been in a similar situation? Thank you x

Replies

• Options
    You have rights and have no obligation to tell the company until I think (I'd have to google it and some employers may be different) 15 weeks before ur due date. By which point you would have done your six months. Mines know already and are so supportive but I do work for a big government company. Good luck xx
  • Options
    Just had a wee look in my bounty pack. It's against the law to discriminate again a a pregnant woman in work and at 20 weeks you will receive a matb1 form which you can then give to notify the employer xx
  • Options
    Thank you Essie!Thats really helpful.Its just so stressful trying to work everything out.xx
  • Options
    Fingers crossed for u xx
  • Options

You are fully protected and receive more rights than many other employees whilst pregnant. you are fully protected from being discriminated against because of your pregnancy, you are also entitled to paid time off for appointments etc. If you are worried though I would strongly suggest you keep a diary and any comments made as well as any meetings which you feel are biased towards moving you out of your role etc.

if you also feel they are looking for other reasons then be very clear with them to detail what specifically it is and ensure you respond appropriately to concerns raised but to be honest if they have not raised any concerns in the 2 months and you then advise you are pregnant and they suddenly advise they are not happy with you then it's a strong case in your favour.

just one last point, although only in your new role for 2 months you have worked for the same company for 5 years and that works in your favour also.

• Options
    Thanks Jo - that's some really helpful advice.Will definitely keep a record of those bits and also of all the positive feedback I get so I can use that as evidence of being good at my job!

These forums are great for putting my crazy brain at rest image x