Forum home Family life & relationships Childcare & work

Offered dream job... But still on mat leave and then we get a bfp!

I'm still on mat leave from number one... He's 8 months old and I'm due back to work in 6 weeks.
We found out today that we are expecting number two... Not unplanned, but I had a job interview on Monday for my dream job. On Tuesday I was told I didn't have the job, not that it really matters, but then on Wednesday I found out I was successful after all! I was over the moon, so excited, and discussed with my husband holding off on number two just for a few months till I got myself into my new job (term time, starting August) and settled.
Naturally, yesterday I realised I'm 3 days late, and did two tests which are both positive.
I'm so confused. I want this new job so much, it's with the same company just in a different department (so no break in employment). But I feel like I've been dishonest accepting the job, leading them on. I must only be 4-5 weeks, but when do I tell my new boss? She's been so friendly and is already treating me like one of the team. I've worked out I'd be there 5 months (although back at work for 6-7 months) before being off on mat leave again, which is within my contract for maternity pay, but it's the moral obligation I'm so confused about. image

I'm torn between happiness for my new job, and happiness about baby number 2 but at the moment I'm just worried. X

Replies

• Blimey, Mrsjacabean, what a dilemma for you! But huge congrats on your BFP!

I'm not a employment law expert – maybe someone else on here is and can come and help in a mo – but I don't think you're under any legal obligation to disclose your pregnancy right now.

But I do understand the worries about the 'moral obligation' thing. It'll be interesting to see what other people on here think about that.

Good luck with deciding what to do and when. Aren't men lucky that they don't have to deal with situations like this, eh?

• I'm currently waiting to start my new job and was already pregnant at the interview, I'm now 13 weeks and still waiting to hand in my notice for my current job! I'm starting to panic because I haven't told my new employers. I haven't got a start date yet as was waiting for my CRB certificate which came yesterday! So I'm still looking at 4-7 weeks before I start. Im starting to panic now as Wont be able to hide it for much longer! 

If its with same company I wouldn't worry about it lol good luck image 

• If it's with the same company then at least you will be entitled to maternity pay and maternity benefits in line with your length of service and contract.

You aren't actually legally obligated to disclose a pregnancy to an employer until you are 25 weeks pregnant! (I know, it's ages!) but I understand if you want to disclose it sooner. Basically it depends on how you feel about the job. It's your dream job, and you're entitled to it whether you're pregnant or not. Legally there is nothing that they can do about you going on maternity leave, and they have to keep your job open for you when you want to go back afterwards. However it's put to you on how you would feel taking a new job and then going on maternity leave so quickly. As I said, LEGALLY they can't treat you any differently etc but that doesn't mean that they won't. I had a very difficult time at my previous employer with my first pregnancy. 

At the end of the day it comes down to your perception of the situation, and what would sit best with you on a moral front x

Not sure if that helps? x

• Hi MrsJacabean!

I work in HR and I wanted to reassure you that you shouldn't feel bad about going off on maternity leave just after being off for your first child, we have this situation regularly and there are never any hard feelings! 

It is obviously entirely up to you when you tell your new boss, we have a policy that requires expectant mums to let us  know at least 15 weeks before the due date, so I would check your company maternity policy to see where you stand from that point of view. Obviously the sooner we know the better so we can prepare for cover etc, however most mums wait until they are 12 weeks at least before notifying us. 

Please do not worry about misleading your new boss, you haven't at all - you didnt even know you were pregnant at the time! You have plenty of time to settle into your new role and add  value before going on maternity leave again. They obviously thought you were the best person for the job, so I am sure they will be very happy for you and your news. 

You haven't done anything wrong, employers aren't able to discriminate on the grounds of pregnancy or maternity leave, so as they obviously thought you were the best person for the role, they would have hired you anyway! If you are feeling anxious about it perhaps speaking to them sooner rather than later would make you feel better, but please dont feel worried about doing so. 

Good Luck and Congrats! x