Forum home Family life & relationships Childcare & work
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Im confused!!

Hey all, im kellie, im new to this, im 24weeks preg with my first and im 21 years old.

Im really sorry to have a rant but im really stuck on who to talk to! 

Being pregnant is great, my babys healthy, weve got nearly everything we need, my partner is amazing and were both really excited about this amazing adventure.......BUT!  our employers are really making it difficult for us. we both work for the same company and were both support workers for people with learning difficulties and complex disabilities and we love what we do, and we thought that with this new paternity law  it would be great that the father gets to spend time with baby too, but our employers are making it very difficult! no one is telling us what were entitled to so we looked it up, and he can take 20summut weeks off out of my maternity when i go back to work. so we planned i would take 20wks then go back to work part time instead of full time and my patner would then take his additional paternity of 20wks but his boss is saying if i go back part time this will affect how much he will get on paternity!! i dont understand......

How can we survive with a baby to look after if were both going to be on less money!! gah!!

I wish it was simple...i just want to enjoy my pregnancy and my baby, and still enjoy my job but at the moment i hate them!  

what to do?

thanks for reading!! (and sorry for rambling!)

xxx

Replies

• Options

Hi there, Congrats. I found that with the child benefit money it was all we needed to support Mia for the first 6 months. It's £20 per week and we used formula and disposable nappies. We got Asda or Boots nappies on offer 2 big packs for £10. Then we got Cow & Gate formula £7 a week. Once you've bought clothes and all the rest you need a newborn really doesn't cost that much. Have you been in with ACAS? I had a few issues and they are really good for advice on where you stand legally with work and what you are entitled to. Also, CAB do financial planning advice if you're really worried. I had a few probs with my job was given away while I was on mat leave cos apparently a rumour had gone round that I wasn't coming back. Because I never got a written contract I was a bit buggered so lesson learnt for me. You might find your HR department haven't come across it yet with it only changing recently so they might be being awkward rather then holding their hands up and saying they don't know. Welcome to the site anyway. Hope you get it sorted out so you can relax. Big hugs x

• Options
    Hi Kellie,

Congratulations on your pregnancy!

Your best option is to get in touch with Citizens Advice Bureau and make sure that's right.

I think it will be though.

The idea of the new paternity option is really to benefit those mothers who earn more money than their partners, they go back full time and the OH takes off the remaining paternity.
    If you go back part time you wouldnt be entitled to your full maternity rights therefore your partner wont get the full money.

Hope that makes some sense.
    Take care hun
    Natalie xx
  • Options

Thanks guys for your help!!

That has acctually helped alot, also weve contacted our bosses boss and she was much more helpfull, so fingers crossed its all going to plan. 

now to enjoy the rest of my pregnancy!

Thanks again!!

xxx

• Options

Hope it all goes well and you manage to work something out that works. I think some companies are a bit lacking in explaining details on all the policies they have. Good that you're getting things sorted.

Now it's time to get you feet up and enjoy.

Good luck xx

• Options

Congrats on your first pregnancy. I wish you, your husband and your baby all the happiness in the world. Stay happy and stay healthy.image