Forum home Family life & relationships Childcare & work
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Requesting Different Work Hours...

Hi All.

I have a few questions with regards to requesting different working hours.

How far in advance did you put in for yours? 3 months in advance of returning, or as soon as you knew you definitely wanted to change them?

Is it easier to request a job share in most cases?

Any advice / experiences welcome!

Thanks

Replies

• I wrote formally 8 weeks prior to my return, I was only reducing to 32 hours first time.

Second time I wanted staggered return with annual leave days being used over 16 weeks, again I wrote in 8 weeks prior to my return as that's all my contract required.

Not sure what I even want this time but again il just let them

Know before I go back. It's NHS though so they tend to be quite accommodating (or else my work places have been)

• I put my request in about five months before I planned to return to work. I was 99% certain it would be declined based on having seen others make the same request, and therefore knew I would have to have a meeting with my operations director to discuss it which would take time to arrange. I also knew that I wasn't prepared to return full time if (when) my request was declined and had decided that I would take a demotion to be able to work less hours. Again, I wanted to make sure there was time for a new contract to be sorted and my hours to be agreed so that I could sort childcare. As it turned out it was all sorted in plenty of time, but I would have worried too much if it had been done much later. However, it obviously all depends on the company, I've got friends who have just put a request in and its been approved straight away so obviously has taken no time at all.