Forum home Family life & relationships Childcare & work
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Working from home?

My baby is just 6 weeks old, but I already know I don't want to go back into employment, to be at the mercy of rotas and inflexible shifts etc.

Id love to set up my own business from home but don't know what I'd do or how viable it would be! I love crafty stuff like baking, sewing, diy etc but could I turn these into a business do you think?

Do any fellow mummies out there work from home with their own business? How do you find it?

Thanks,

Beth xx

Replies

• Options

Congrats on your new arrival!

I haven't personally but I did go from doing shift work to an outpatient job so work during Monday to Friday 9-5 which suits easier for childcare. (I'm a nurse and nowhere near creative enough to have my own business).

I know alot of people who have set up businesses during maternity though. One makes baby bibs/ blankets etc and makes memory bears from old clothing. She has her wee shop on instagram, Facebook and etsy. Another person started making cakes and set up an online and local business. And someone else makes diaries and planners and stationary books like address, to do lists etc. I don't think any of them make wages close to what they did but the fact they don't need childcare sort of breaks it even I think. 

You can also look at things like making yor own soap and bath bombs. Baby clothing. Anything you enjoy really!

Look on etsy and instagram at some of the shops people have created into small business. If you are keen it's worth looking and speaking to others, and the money side of things will depend on how much time etc you want to put into it. Hopefully someone else can be of more use than me lol. 

Good luck xxx

• Options

Post deleted by MadeForMums. 
    Here's a link to our Chat guidelines. 

• Options

It can be done. Lots of mummys are freelancers, designers, writers etc. Of course you can do something from your home. But, if you are going to make sales, you have to open your own business, legally. If you don´t pay taxes, you could get yourself in trouble. Try and look for all the legal technicalities before you go in the new adventure. Today is easy to open that kind of business due to social media networks, it is easy to advertise. Good luck in your new venture! Follow your dreams!