Forum home Family life & relationships Childcare & work

Maternity leave

Hi there. Hope everyone is ok. Have got a query regarding maternity leave. What is the general time that people are thinkin of leaving work to go on maternity leave. I am thinking of leaving about three weeks before my due date. I know some people work right up more or less to their due date and just wondered what other people considered the right time for them.

Replies

• Hi im a house keeper and plan to work right up to my due date so i can have more time off after, only trouble is i work away all week and have to travel 60miles to get to my work has any one got any advise for me as in is it safe to travel the 60miles when due to drop??
  • Do you travel alone and how do you travel? As you get nearer your date you would probably feel better having someone with you (even though this probably isn't practical). I get the train into work everyday and I think that the hour a day I spend getting to and from work is what actually tires me out more than work itself.
  • This was a big concern to me until I found out that in April 2007, if your baby is due on or after April 1, you get an extra 3 months maternity leave with statutory maternity benefit. This made my decision easier and I will be giving up a few weeks before the birth as I will have more time once the baby has arrived - yippeee!! Nikki
  • My due date is 25 jan so i miss out on the extra maternity leave because of my work im planning on taking the baby back to work with me after.I do travel to work on my own in my car and i cant take anyone with me so mayb i will have to re think my plans.
  • Hi I've got 8 weeks left until my due date and i gave up work as soon as i could mostly for health reasons but also because i was getting so tired i just couldn't work. I did plan to leave 4 weeks before but i'm so glad i'm on maternity leave now as i tend to sleep a lot in the afternoons. I know this means i have to go back when my baby is 3 months old instead of 6 months old but i'm quite lucky as i'm only going back part time- only a couple of evenings a week when my husband is home. I don't think you can plan when you start maternity leave as you don't know how you are going to feel but i know that not everyone has much of an option for certain reasons. I would say that you can plan that youwant to stop 4 weeks before or work up until your due date but your plans might change nearer the end of your pregnancy as you might find traveling to work really difficult. Good luck everyone
  • My job is realy good as i my boss is very good to me and tells me to put my feet up as much as possible and take a nap when i want so im just going to see how things go.Ive been trying to sort out the nursery i know im only 5 mths but i feel time is flyin by any one else feel like this? Or am i just being over organised??