Forum home Family life & relationships Childcare & work
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Pre-school choice - what would you do ladies?

I am in a bit of a muddle.

I am looking at pre-schools for my lo at the moment. He won't be going for another year or so, but I am trying to sign him up in advance so that I can ask for certain mornings to fit in with work.

I have seen two so far. Both are recommended to me by friends who have children there already.

One is at the end of my road, and is a pre-school that feeds into the local primary school that lo would go to. About half of the children at the pre-school will go to this primary school. The Ofsted report for the pre-school is that it is 'good' and a few of lo's little friends will be at the pre-school when he is there, which would be nice for him. The staff:child ratio is really good, and there is outside space, all the children were happy there, and the staff seemd very nice. I did think though that the toys and books there looked quite old and shabby and it seemed quite cold in the main hall as the doors were open onto the playground all the time, and they only do art and painting and things like that outside, regardless of the weather.

The other one I saw is a few miles drive away. I was really impressed with verything about the pre-school - the staff, cleanliness, structure, facilities, outside space, toys, books, materials etc, and the Ofsted report is that it is 'outstanding'. But because of where it is, it is really very unlikely that any other chidren from the pre-school will go to the same primary school as lo will go to, nor will any of his friends be there (though of course he will make new friends!).

What would you do, ladies? Would you send him to the one that you really loved which is further away and where lo would not know anyone there or at primary school later on? Or would you send him to the one closer to home, which I have heard good things about too, but which doesn't have the newest or nicest toys and equipment and things, but where lo will know other children and go with them to primary school?

Thanks x

[Modified by: Rhian2 on 13 October 2009 11:08:50 ]

[Modified by: Rhian2 on 13 October 2009 11:45:28 ]

Replies

• Personally, I think pre-school is important from a social point of view. I think I'd go for the nearer one, like you say it isn't a bad pre-school and you've heard good things about it - I think the friendships lo will make are more important than the age of the toys there (as long as they are safe and not dangerously falling apart of course!). I think it'll help the transition to school if lo already knows some of the children who'll be there. If the Ofsted report wasn't good, I think I'd look around a bit more, but as it is I don't think I would, I'd consider the bigger picture, so to speak.

This is only my opinion (and I;m not at that stage yet!), but I went to a school a few miles away form home, didn't get to know the local kids very well as they already had their own groups formed at school, but my friends lived a drive away so could only see them when pre-arranged - I think this is influencing my opinion.

Could you have a word with your freinds about whether they find the temperature a problem - are you saying art lessons are always outside? That does seem a bit strange but I assume they'd have had complaints by now if other parents found a problem with it in practice - perhaps you could ask them to clarify the reasons a bit.
  • Thanks, Sunflower. Yes, painting is always outside in the playground (I assume it is to minimise mess, as the pre-school is in a church hall which is used loads of numerous other activities and groups, so everything to do with the pre-school is packed away after the pre-school sessions).

I also went to a primary school which nobody from my pre school went to. I can't remember it being much os a problem, but then I was only 4 so maybe I jut don't remember if it was! I have fabulous memories of pre-school and the activities we used to do, outings etc though.

I don't know whether I'm making too much of a big deal out of this, but I really want to make the right decision. Although lo will start doing 2 mornings a week, and I will eb able to do lots with him outside those hours, he will build up to 5 mornings a week before he starts school, and that is a lot of time spent at pre-school.

[Modified by: Rhian2 on October 13, 2009 11:50 AM]

• My son started pre school at 3 yrs old and he got on great, made loads of lovely little friends, hte place had an excellent OFSTED report etc etc but we moved house while he was there, not far but far enough to mean he didn't get into the school it was linked with which is where all his friends were going. He ended up at a different school, and when he started he didn't know anyone. I was terrified for him, he'd always been so shy and I worried how he would make friends but he settled in fine and really quickly! That was sept last year and now he has so many friends and he loves school!
    I'm just trying to say, I would go with the pre school I prefered, not worrying about him staying with his friends when it comes to starting school because they are honestly stronger than we think and will always surprise us!
    Hope that helps and good luck with your decisions x
  • I think you need to go with the one you prefer. At 3 and 4 children don't tend to form lasting friendships of their own accord, they'll play with whoever's there and not worry too much when their "best friend" from the day before isn't there!! My DS went to a preschool about 15 miles from where we live purely as it was closer to where I was working and they had a baby room for DD too. He's just started in reception class at the school round the corner from where we live. He didn't know anyone at all but now, 4 weeks down the line, has loads of friends who live near us and is settling in really well. He's in the top group and loving school and everything about it. You need to go with your gut instinct I think, they are so much more adaptable than we give them credit for!
    Good luck with your decision.
    xx
  • hey i am in the same position as you aswell but my lo may not get in her pre-school in my area that i really want her to go to because its so good and not enough spaces. Did you know you can split the time up. When you lo is 3 he will be entilted to 5 sessions a week and you can split these between 2 different pre-schools if you wanted to or incase he didnt get all 5 at the one you chose. I would personally go with one i felt comfortable most with rather than distance as your lo will always make friends at school no matter what they are children that move and stuff but they still fit in fine xx
  • Thank you very much for your replies. I think I am leaning towards sending him to the one that is further away but which I liked more. It was just lovely there, and tbh, I would have liked to stay and play longer myself! I think I will apply for a place at both, and see whether he is accepted and what days of the week they can offer him (I need the sessions to fit in with my work too). And then I could always say no to the place later on when I've had more time to think about it. I think I will go and see both pre-schools again closer to the time too.

Thanks for you replies and good luck to all your little ones at school and pre-school too. You're all right - lo is very sociable and loves to play and dance and I have always taken him to classes, toddler groups, and to play with friends with children too, so I am sure he will make friends wherever he is at the time.

• I think it's a good idea to apply for both. I would lean towards going to the local one, esp as it seems likely that's where he'll go to school. New shiny toys and equipment look nice but kids love playing with anything!Is it an actual Nursery school run by the school or just a pre-school playgroup that's seperate?
  • Hi, Neither of them are run by the primary schools. they are all run separately. The primary school starts when the children are 4, and has nothing for under 4s. The children seem to go to a wide variety of pre-schools, nurseries etc and then go to school in 2 separate intakes (September and January).

I will apply for both and hopefully it will be easier to make a decision closer to the time. I don't know what to do now! I change my mind all the time as I see what you are all saying, even though its conflicting.

Another example of how having children is not easy! x