Forum home Family life & relationships Childcare & work
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

nursery

hey girls, just want to ask a few questions about nursery!
Jason's 17months now, will be 2 in april but he's starting to show signs that he's going to be a very boistrious n energetic toddler!
So i'm starting to look for a nursery/playschool type thing for him, not full time as me n oh are at hm anyway, well one of us is wrking the other is looking after kids, but maybe jsu 3 mornings/afternoons a week kinda thing.

how much do you ladies pay if you don't mind me asking?
what are the things to look out for, bad signs/goods signs etc.

any advice wouild be greatly appreciated

thanks girls image

Replies

• Options
    I've looked round 2 nurseries. The 2nd I chose for Charlotte to attend (she starts in October 1 day a week). It's a bit like choosing a wedding dress - you instantly know and get that feeling.

To me good signs were cleanliness, happy children, lots of security, and different activities room for the kids.

The 1st nursery I looked at was a chain, and I didn't like it too much. It held a lot of children and seemed a bit like a school.

The 2nd nursery where she will be going to, was a lot smaller, privately owned & run (though more expensive), and as soon as I walked in it just felt right. the toddler room where Charlotte will be in was lovely. When I walked in they were having messy play and the kids were loving it and the staff were so friendly. the manage who showed me round knew all her stuff.

I would write down questions you think are important and make sure you ask them all.
    All staff should have CRB checks. I always ask if they have summer staff on(ie untrained school/uni kids). If they do it's a no-no from me!

It's all to do with personal choice. make sure you look round at least 2.
  • Options
    When my eldest went to nursery (1.5 years ago) it was ??5ph but went down in price the more hours a week they were there. We live in greater London though so might be more expensive than elsewhere (and obviously will have increased since that time)

Hope this helps.xx
  • Options
    Sorry, meant to say check they are reg with Ofsted and get their last review online.
  • Options
    hi hun, I worked in a nursery so hope I can help.. ask about the ratio of adults to children, should be 1:3 under 2 yrs then 1:4 until they are 3. Ask which agencys they use for bank staff then chk them out on net. check the menus they offer, how much outside time, messy play, reading time they have. also many nurseries like you too visit a specific times, ie , quiet times, push to come a different time like lunch, you get a truer picture x
  • Options
    thanks for the advice ladies, going to go into my local council offices 2moro when i finish work see what phone nummbers i can get hold of n go from there.
    I think once jason gets used to it he'll love having all the other children to play with but can see a bit of seperation anxiety to begin with, willprob be posting that up if i manage to get him in anywhere!!!