Forum home Family life & relationships Childcare & work
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

being a mum and working shifts (also posted in baby forum)

Hi Guys

Not sure if there are any mums on this forum that do shift work, but am really considering a career change and would like to go into a nursing profession.

I would have to return to studying but it would be on a shift basis as you work the same shifts as your mentor. I currently work in an office doing mangement accounts, but I really do not enjoy it. I never wanted to do office work when I left school and always wanted to go into midwifery, nursing or teaching. However, I also wanted to travel and needed money so got a job, saved and did my travelling and before I knew it 10 years had passed and I hadn't left the office work.

Anyway, since having my LO and seeing how fast he is growing it has made me realise how precious life is and that if I really want to do something I shold go for it. Being a mum has also increased my confidence considerably and I now think mentally I am much more ready to go into nursing.

I have to work as we cannot afford for me not to, so really want to do something where I actaully look forward to going to work.

Anyway, as we would like more children in the near future that is also something I need to consider.

How do you manage with childcare and is it very hard to fit being a mum and doing the shifts. Im sure plenty or mums out there do it everyday, but would like to hear your experiences.

Thanks
Rebecca:\)

Replies

• Hi!! My husband and i work opposite shifts to each other (one does a morning and one does an afternoon into evening) so that one of us is always on hand to look after our two boys (ages 4 and 2) This works so well for us we both have time with the boys at some point during the day and were all together as a family at the weekend. We are trying for a third baby and intend to keep working shifts as it suits us all so well. The added plus for us is no child care costs... woooohoooo!! You should always follow your dreams as this will make you all happier!!!! Good Luck in your studies.....
  • hi missal - i work shifts like you since my first son was born and its ideal but i do miss my husband, also what happened when your eldest started school? did this not mean that the person at home with the baby in the day who works afternoons and evenings does not see the eldest?
    my eldest starts pre-school next term, my baby is 12 weeks and i'm due to go back to work for the summer. i'm thinking of trying to get more hours in the day but this will mean childcare for the youngest. not sure at all!!
    julsey
  • Hi Julesy, we work alternate shifts of 6am-2pm and 2pm -10pm so the person on lates doesnt really get that much time with the eldest that week but we try to make up for it on the weekends and school hols. The boys seem to tolerate it really well and i have a great relationship with my husband because we make an effort with each other because time together is rare.Im lucky because he really helps out around the house always a bonus!! Hope this goes some way to helping you with your dilema
  • yes - thank you - its worked well so far and it will certaunly be ideal in the holidays as there are a lot of them!!
    julesy