Forum home Family life & relationships Childcare & work
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Worry! Going back to work!

Hi everyone. Am new to the site so hope I'm doing this right! Am desperate for some advice, support etc! My little girl is 16 weeks old and in just 12 weeks I have to return to work. After a lot of soul searching I have opted reluctantly to go back to work full time. As such my baby will have to go into full time nursery from 9 til 3 each day when her grandmother will pick her up and look after her until I get home at 4. At the moment bless her she is really reluctant to go to anybody and starts to cry each time someone other than me or her dad picks her up. I am so worried that she will have problems at the nursery and about her being so upset all of the time when others are around her. She even finds it hard with her grandmother! I rang the nursery this morning and they advised me to call the beginning of March and if she is still having difficulties they will try to get a few short sessions in before I start back properly although they couldnt guarantee this. Has anyone any ideas on how I can help my little one and has anyone else gone back to work as early as this with baby in full time nursery. I feel like such a bad mum!

Replies

• hi eddie,
    dont feel bad hun! youre not alone. ive just had my first so have yet to go through this but i work as a baby room supervisor in a day nursery and want to reassure you that you're not a bad mum.
    in my experience of day care we there has always been free taster sessions offered to ease the transition for mum and baby, with mum being allowed to stay and play until she is ready to leave her child. we also offered to call or encourage them to call if they are concerned at all. one mum used to come and feed her lo at lunch time with her first baby and when she had her second continued todo this!
    i hope u also get to know the staff who will be caring for your baby, also in my experience there is a key worker assigned to each child so find out if this is the case and spend time the three of you in your taster sessions discussin lo's needs and ur concerns..
    9 til 4 will fly by, thats not too bad. as i said ive not done this myself yetbut have seen and helpedlots of mothers with this change.
    good luck, and make sure u speak to the nursery again they can really ease ur worries
    xxx
  • Hi HollyLizzie. Thanks so much for your answer - I honestly feel so much better after reading your reply! I will definitely ring the nursery again in the next few weeks and hope that we can get to visit earlier to make the transition easier for both of us. Your place of work is very lucky having you - wish you were working at my lo's nursery! Again many thanks and congratulations on your little one. x
  • Hi Eddie
    My lo is 6 months old and having her first day today i go back to work fulltime on monday. she is going 3 days and the other 2 at my mums. i have been really upset past couple of days at the thought of not being with her.

We dropped her off, she didn't even look back and when i phoned the nursery they said she was happily playing with toys, obviously not missing me then.

I think she will learn so much
  • Hi Eddie
    My lo is 6 months old and having her first day today i go back to work fulltime on monday. she is going 3 days and the other 2 at my mums. i have been really upset past couple of days at the thought of not being with her.

We dropped her off, she didn't even look back and when i phoned the nursery they said she was happily playing with toys, obviously not missing me then.

I think she will learn so much
  • Hi Cassie T - thanks for your reply. Am really pleased for you that your little one was happy to go in - it makes it so much easier for us doesnt it! Hope it all continues as smoothly for you. I agree that they will definitely learn a lot and from what I am told it helps to make them confident and sociable little beings! Just hope my little girl takes to it as easy. Since the other day I have rang again and am hopefully going to take her in for taster sessions in March. Fingers crossed! Good luck with going back to work. xx