Forum home Family life & relationships Childcare & work
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

child tax credits

im trying to work out if we will be better off with me returning to work, how much roughly do you get towards chilcare costs?

Replies

• It depends what you earn!

I get nothing, even though i use a registered nursery. Apparently I earn too much. My friend will work 3.5 hours a day, 5 days a week after the birth of her 2nd and will get enough to pay for 1 day or 1.5 days a weeks nursery for her eldest!

The rumour that you get 90% of childcare costs, is just that....a rumour!
  • i heard it was 70%, i know we can earn a higher amount with josh being registered disabled. looking like its not going to be worth it
  • If you earn less than about £20,000 between you then you should get a reasonable amount!

They are a farce really!!!
  • my oh is a plumber and gas engineer so he earns more than that, not gonna be worth doing, i'll be out of pocket going to work!
  • I keep being told that i should get money for childcare by people who believe that the child tax credits help all people.

Unfortunately, those of us who work 40 hour weeks and earn more than the minimum wage will never benefit. I may earn a reasonable amount but i have less than £20 left at the end of the month after bills, fuel and food!!!! I don't smoke, drink, go out clubbing etc!!!!
  • Don't get me started!! Its all wrong the way these things are worked out... i could say more but better not
  • yes its true that you will only get anything if you earn peanuts unfortunately.
  • well me and my oh are living in a council place at min as we cant even afford a mortgage but we're the only ones that work on our estate and it does annoy me how much everyone else seems to get in benefits when we're trying really hard to make an honest living! and child tax credits keep putting my money down as we under estimated our income by a couple of hundred so have now got to pay some back weekly, i'll have nothing from them soon!!!
  • I earn a reasonably good wage and there is no way i can afford a mortgage!!! I see parents of kids at school who are cheating the system and it drives me nuts!!
  • dont get me started on that! my old neighbour has 2 holidays abroad every year paid for by social loans, smokes, clubbing 2x a week, shes meant to be a single parent yet has the father of her youngest living with her (who is working)! we cant even pay our bills by direct debit as sometimes we have to pay them in order of importance and others just have to wait!
  • I get nothing
  • Just wanted to say i agree, my partner works and is fairly well paid and i'll be working full time soon, i know we're very lucky to have our own house but a friend of my family doesn't work and has a house, hols, cars and sits on her bum all day. We can't afford to do all that so the system is all wrong!
  • Owen and I waited until we could afford for me to not work before conceiving. It never occurred to me that I'd be able to claim anything as that is just not the way my mind works. Both our families and ourselves have always worked hard for what we've got.

Some families are so infuriating aren't they? People should only have children if they can afford them in my opinion. I know that it's not as straight forward as that in reality and 'accidents' happen, etc. but it really annoys me when I see my and other decent people's taxes enabling lazy people to live a decent lifestyle.
  • Im right behind you all on this,ad works all the hours and only get N.M.W,so not much and benefits keep lowering my money as they think his on a highter wage.

Its single dads that get the most money im tellin ya.They get more help than us mums.
  • i think our best option is gonna be to wait until pauls mum is better and pay her to have the kids, she doesnt work so it will help them out financially and will work out cheaper for us as well as us knowing Isaac wont accidentally be given anything he cant eat (milk, bananas, musili)
  • its not fair that i am able to work, willing to work yet can not afford to, oh wages cover rent and bills etc but it would be nice for me to work so we can have those extra bits and be able to treat ourselves, yet i cant get a job that covers childcare for 2 children! tax credits should help everyone
  • Not being funny girls, but the way the system works in this country is disgusting.

You'll only have a good lifestyle in this country if you are either 1). Rich or 2). an Asylum seeker.

I'm looking at moving to Australia, at least out there you can quite comfortably live on £25K a year, and have a big house with a pool, and no-one looks down their nose at you if you leave work 'on time' to spend time with your family (why stay on if you're not getting paid for it? That's my attitude now!)

I'm going back to work for two days a week, my little one, Lara, is going to nursery for two mornings (she still hasn;'t settled in and it's so upsetting for both of us), and my mum and mum-in-law are going to have her in the afternoons.

I worked out I would actually be worse off if I went back full-time, as I would have to put Lara in nursery full-time, which would cost around £900 a month. As it is, after paying nursery fees I'm not going to have much left at all, so I'm hoping the tax credits will help, but after reading your replies, I'm not banking on it!

It seems we are damned if we do, and damned if we don't (go out to work). Either way we're all skint, it sucks.

• Just to add a little extra here my mum is now sole carer for chan(or tilly as now called)and she still wont get her benefit paid as social services cant find the details to release it to my mum,also my mum is about to loose the benefit entitlement for my younger brother and sister,somthing to do with the new school leaving age but they both only have a few yrs left anyway.

The real big laugh of it is that my mum had to attend a back to wrk interview with the job centre who told her that by the time chan is 7yrs old they expect her to be back at work(she's in security)and by then she will be 55yrs old and no way not a hope in hell of going back on the night club doors. They said if she dont sh wont get any more help with benefits,i mean how silly is that.

After i left my job i decided that it was not worth me going back to wrk till riley was in full-time school as there is such little out here for a good paid job for such little hrs that i could poss work.

• i get so cross just thinking about the tax credits/benefits system.. i work full time to provide for our family and at the moment we can't afford for shawn to start working as any job he can get wouldn't cover childcare. my mum still works full time, so we can't use her at all for childcare..

when i see people on all these benefits that my taxes pay for, who get their new cars every 3 years and kitchens refitted (that's for incapacity benefit), i just get really angry.. we can't afford to replace our very old car or even think about a mortgage at the moment. and shawn's not entitled to any benefits as he's south african! grr. sorry ranting over!

sometimes i think we'd be better off on benefits with a council house, but i just wouldn't be able to do that and hold my head up.

• Lucy I completely agree with you! It's almost as if those of us who work, and want to work are penalised! Yet there are people out there who take every benefit going and live a life of luxury! I am still paying back the debts that i got training to be a teacher, as i got no help with Uni fees and had to pay for everything that i needed. And I get NO help towards childcare costs!!! The government refuses to give teachers a pay rise in line with inflation yet tax and NI are increasing every year so I take a pay cut everytime they rise! I know that I earn a decent amount compared to some people, however after everything goes out of the bank I am left with £10 a week for luxuries and presents for people etc!!!

I know of 1 family who have recently had a 3 weeks foreign holiday, drive a year old 7 seater car, have had numerous new things for the house including an American style fridge and he doesn't work and she is a cleaner! I have heard that they are trying for more kids, their eldest is 14 (ish) and so will soon stop them qualifying for so much money!!!