Forum home Toddlers & older children Children with special needs
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

two of my children have Autisum.

Replies

• Hi Anita, Thanks for all of your advice. I have bookmarked that website and will definately volunteer. I have always had the feeling that she's different from other chldren of the same age and it'll all started since her father left when she was 3 and a half. she also saw a lot of violence at that time. her school tried to tell to tell me she was different but i didnt listen to them, now she's almost ten and she's emotionally stunted, she regresses whenever there's any change to our life (more so now, we've just moved 450 miles away) she has the emotional capacity of a three year old and has no attention span whatsoever! And i mean NONE! when she's upset she tends to hate herself and has self harmed since she was about 5 (at the moment its hitting herself but i'm worried it'll get worse and she'll start to cut herself) At the same time, she is an academic genius and uses both sides of her brain - she excels at both scientific and creative study. she is a very talented and excellent artist, a brilliant mathematician and she is also a fantastic dancer, she has an AMAZING memory, she only needs to hear something once and its memorized forever.

She was under the paediatrician for 12 months as she started puberty at the age of 6 too!! Not her period but pubic hair and spotty skin, B.O. etc

I just don't know what to do or where to start!!!!! I am definately going to keep a diary as Wenders advised....and maybe leave it a couple of months then go back! I'm exhausted!!

Sorry I've gona on so much but there is so much more to tell you - i've told the doc all this but he's said its quite normal and she is most likely a bit emotionally retarded, nothing that can't be fixed - and that was that!
  • that is not right, Jason is brilliant academicaly and that's why his school wont statement him even though he has the bit of paper to say he's autistic but he to self harms for example he scratches his head til he bleeds (i thought it was nits but we shaved all his hair off and nothing) but apparently autistic children are often hyper sensitve and tickles and itch are actually painful to them he also went through a stage of biting himself to calm hinself down, he notices little things that everyone else would miss and he also has a fantastic memory but change anything in the house or in his routine and it's hell to pay, when he's upset he cries and screams like a toddler, what your doctor needs to realise as he obviosly doesn't know alot about autism is that all the children with asd's are emotionally backward because they cannot undrstand changes or social skills however brilliant they are academically how is she with friends does she have a lot or just one or two or does she have phases on people and find it hard to maintain friendships, does she have obsessions with things e.g foods, toys, programmes.
    i've had a nightmare this last couple of weeks with Jason because of the council doing the kitchen and bathroom everyone has asked me if i noticed the change in him as he has been like a stroppy teenager constantly and my husband is just as bad but he has got aspergers too so it is often fun here as they both have to be in control of the situation all of the time, anyway let me know what happens and if you need anything just ask.....anita xx
  • hi claire... glad anita has helped you :\) have you managed to get back in at the gp's? hope they're a bit more helpful this time.. xx
  • Hi to you all. This stupid computer keeps playing up so i havent been able to type anything/log on. How are things going Anita? Has your kitchen and bathroom been done now? How is the baby bump,is the baby very active? How many weeks do you have left? Hope all the other children are well and you are managing to get abit of rest. Hope everyone else is well on this topic,and your children are well too. Mine are fine, Lukes been having teenage strops now and again where he gets abit wound up and drops to the ground,it frightend my best mate when he did it at the weekend even though she has seen him do it before,he really screws his face up bless him,something had botherd him.I wish he could speak the poor soul,it must get so frustraiting for him. He is fine today.
    Love to you all. Take care. Jayne.x :\)
  • my kitchen and bathroom got signed over to me today so all done now am really relieved as it has been really hard on Jason he has been a complete nightmare to live with while they were doing it, i got 8 1/2 weeks left but they are inducing me earl luckily i told them about jason and the fact i have very quick labours (last one 14 minutes) and that it will scare the life out of him if he see's it and they agreed to induce me between 38 and 39 weeks i think they could tell it was worrying me because my blood pressure had gone up by 30 in the last week.

school wise jason is doing brilliantly now he has gone up 4 reading levels in the last 6 months it's the teacher he's got at the moment she is wonderful with him and it really does make all the difference.

it must be scary when luke does that, and so frustrating for him to not be able to talk can he do signing at all or macaton? ....anita xx
  • Hi everyone, I have decided to leave it for a few weeks and am keeping a diary of behaviours, both good and naughty.Hopefully I'l get to see a different doc next time too. I'll keep u all posted. Thanks again for your fantastic advice xx x xx
  • Hi.

Glad that you have got your house back now Anita and that Jason will hopefully settle down now for you.
    Your labour was quick,super quick 14 minutes!!!! Sophie and Bethanies were both 8 1/2 hours and they were my shortest. Good luck with the induction.

Luke can do makaton at school,but not alot. He has done "thank-you" for me on the odd occasion. He will not do things for me,its like at school in one place he will do things,then when he comes home its more relaxed and he doesnt do them. One thing for school another for home.

Have you had any more scans? Do you know if the baby is a boy/girl yet or are you just going to wait till the big day and have a suprise? They couldnt tell with Rebecca my eldest,as she was lying curled up. I wasnt fussed with it being my first.

Better go and get the washing out. Its a nice sunny day here again in Derby.
    Take care Anita, and everyone else.

love jayne.x :\)

Good luck with the behaveral diary Claire,i did one for Sophie and they really do come in handy.

jayne.x :\)
  • still don't know what the baby is ,just have to wait and see but not long to wait now.
    had an appaling day yesterday i am still waiting for my husband to get diagnosed as aspergers and i made the mistake of changing his routine slightly normally on wednesday nights he takes jason to a disabled sports group but it's also for siblings and i had a phone call to say that the group i take the others to was cancelled this week and thought so they didn't miss out i'd take them with him and jason but he kicked up a major stink refused to go at all which messed up jason's routine and he was moody for the whole evening too so i took the kids to my mother in laws to get out the house and when i got back he acted like everythng was fine totally forgotton but why does it have to be so bloody hard i just wish he'd argue back a bit and clear the air but you know what autistic people are like they don't show feelings and when i'm stressed he just completely ignores me which makes me worse.
    i've already got a full time job with jason and trying to look after him and 7 weeks til baby's due and i really don't know if i can do this any more.
    sorry but i really needed to get this all off my chest.....anita xx
  • Anita my duck. You really do have your hands full. I thought i was stressed at times!!! I couldnt answer before as the computer has been playing up again,and Luke is so touchy nowdays,a real handfull. I havent heard of adults being diagnoised with Aspergers,my nephew who is 22yrs old has it,but was diagnoised years ago. I hope you and hubby get it sorted out,all the best to you both.

I hope you have had a nice Mothers day. Can your in-laws have the children for a while whilst you have a rest. You need a medal my duck.

Take care Anita. love jayne.x :\)
  • i feel better now i really just needed a break i went out to my sister on friday night and had a lay in on saturday and i feel so much better, i do feel sorry for my husband because he wasn't diagnosed he has found coping mechanisms but they don't solve the problem and most the time he wont admit theres a problem says he's perfect and theres nithing wrong with him but it is so obvious and he was quite happy mentioning it until we told him to get diagnosed officially. his parents didn't really pick up on it when he was younger because they both worked and it wasn't so well known when he was younger anyway the docter has found someone who will diagnose an adult and we're just waiting for the appointment to come through but someone else will have to go with him or he will lie through his teeth so they think he has nothing wrong.
    whats luke up to at the moment then i've just become a member of an online forum on a website called ASD friendly it really good and gives me a good insight into what jason is going through....anita xx
  • Hi Anita. Glad you are feeling abit better now. If you ever want to have a good moan i will be here for you (when this stupid computer lets me on !!!) Hope you get the appointment through for your husband really soon. You have really got your handsfull. Hope the children are keeping well and your bump is not too active for mummy.
    Luke is fine at the moment,touch wood. Its Sophie who is being abit too mouthy at the moment, almost time of the month for Sophie and Bethanie so its like world war 3 with them two.!!! :lol: thank goodness i had my hysterectomy,i only get the sore boobs now,but thats bad enough. :lol: Luke was watching the snow again on sunday,he would of loved to play in it had it settled,i dont like this cold weather,i hate wearing jumpers and big coats.Roll on summer.
    Take care Anita, love jayne.x :\)
  • Hi Anita and everyone it's Jo here,sorry it's been ages since I have been on-line,internet problems. I found out I am having a boy. Shocked as I was certain I was having a girl.I Feel worried because Autism is 4 times higher in boys.
    Anita what a small world, I live in Herne Bay, I was born in Margate and still have several family members living there, most of them all their lives. I have spent most of my life in Cornwall. Dad was in Chatham Dockyard and transferred down to Devonport Dockyard in 1983. Four years ago I moved back to Kent as I love the South East.
    Best Wishes to everyone
    Jo
    xx
  • i think i'm having a boy too although as you've probably read i've been told i was having a boy twice and a girl once anyway i've got the same worries and because of my husband and jason the chances of this one having it are going to be quite high boy or girl and i had really bad insomnia when i was pregnant with jason and i've got it again so i think that is playing on my mind a bit. i love Herne bay i used to spend all my summers there at one of my best friends houses in Broomfield and my aunt lived there for a while too, i've been in Margate nearly all my life and even though the tourist trade here is a bit rubbish now i can't imagine living any where else......anita xx
  • I live in Greenhill,yeah Herne Bay is nice and I do like it here.
    Where did you get told about the sex of your baby then ?. Must be frustrating to be told one sex and then another.
    I had a scan done at 'baby 4d' in Canterbury, but only to find out the sex, I couldn't have the 4d scan done as I am not far enough gone for that. I have my 20 week scan booked at Kent and Canterbury this coming Friday,we will be shocked if they disagree with the sex we've been told because even we could clearly see the babys genitals and we aint experts
    Jo
    xx
  • i got told it was a boy at margate hospital and i was given a 4d scan at baby 4d for christmas and they told me it was a girl and then because they couldn't get any good facial pictures they rebooked it and a different sonographer told me it was a boy.
    i had a friend that lived in greenhill too but i can't remember where abouts it was too long ago since i was a teenager.
    i've only got a few weeks left now so i'm exausted all the time but at least its not long to wait before i see baby and it's going so quickly now i hope yours goes as quick....anita xx
  • Crikey Anita id be mad if I had gone through your experience with finding out the baby's sex. I wouldn't of wanted to of known on my other two children, but now I have one of each I decided to find out with baby 3.
    I wish I was nearing the end of my pregnancy like you, although I must confess it is going rather quick, but I am impatient at the best of times. I keep reminding myself to make the most of being home alone during the days, as soon ill have company again lol.
    I must say it will be interesting to see what sex you do have now. you must keep in touch.
    I am tossing up between having my baby at Canterbury or Margate. The thing is you can't have an Epidurual at Canterbury, and although I hope to manage without one, it's nice to have the option. I think it's a pain in the arse I have to chose based upon what pain relief they offer.At the end of the day Canterbury is closest and ought to be my first choice for convience.
    Jo
    xx
  • i'd have to say i've never had a problem with the care at margate but i had an epidural with jason and had such severe back pain afterwards that i wouldn't even consider another one but his was also the worst labour for me i read recently on a website called ASDfriendly that traumatic birth can be one of the enviriomental factors contributing to autism, like a trigger and that follows with jason because he had such a long and hard birth where as my other 2 were really straightforward and they show no signs of asd at all.
    it's all speculation tho as there are thought to be so many triggers what with all the thing about mmr as well whats your opinion on it all?
    how are your other 2 doing at the moment?
    as for not knowing the sex i didn't find out with any of the others i only did ths time because jason was so against the idea of a boy so i thought it would give him time to prepare himself if he knew for sure but now he thinks there is one of each.
  • Hi to you all.

Thought i would try the computer to see if i could get on.
    Hope you are all well and that the children are well too.
    Not long now is it Anita. I love the picture of the children,was it taken long ago?

Luke has been fine,he has been really happy and chatty in his own way,making his happy noises. Sophie has been hyper,i had school ring me on Friday as she just wouldnt calm down,so i have got to get her Thyroxin checked to see that its not too strong for her. If its not one of them its the other!!!
    Bethanie is ok,shes calmed down abit this week,thank goodness.

I am really looking forward to them breaking up this week, NOT..... :roll:
    They get bored and start to argue,i hope the weather stays nice.

Better go now,take care, love jayne.x :\)
  • children are all ok megan's thumb is on the mend now which is a relief as its her right one and she is right handed so i've had to do everything for her.
    i took that picture last year in the october holidays.
    glad luke and bethanie are starting to calm down but i know what you mean my other 2 aren't autistic but they've certainly learnt enough off jason to keep me busy.
    i got to hold one of the kittens today they are so lovely i don't want to get rid of any of them but i don't think 5 cats, 4 children + us is very practical.
    hope you manage to get it all sorted out with sophie soon.....anita xx

[Modified by: Anitarobbo on March 28, 2007 08:24 PM]
  • Hi Girls,
    Not much to report, just thought id mention that I have had my 20 week scan and like we expected they have also told us we are expecting a boy. Hope you are all well and I hope you have a good Easter. When is your baby due Anita,if you don't mind me asking?
    Best wishes Jo
    xx