Forum home Toddlers & older children Children with special needs
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

newbie and does this sound like Asperger's?

Hi everyone

I'm sure this question has been asked before (sorry) but I really need some advice about my 5 yr old son (he will be 6 in July). I'm going out of my mind with worry and I can't get a doc's appointment until next wednesday, so I was hoping that any of you who know anything about asperger's could tell me if you think it is or am I barking up the wrong tree!?

Here is a list of just some of the things I'm concerned about.

He is obsessed with drawing really detailed drawings especially of trains. They have to have the right amount of wheels, pistons, shape of cab etc. He can look at a picture of some thing and then draw it from memory in great detail.

Continually counting, putting things in order or symetrically. He knows the order of the planets in the solar system having only looked at a book about it once.

He has special ways of doing things and if the routine is broken then he has a major meltdown. For example he will repeatedly tell me on the way to school and in the playground (every day) that I need to wave to him from a certain place and and carry on waving. I have to kiss him a certain number of times. He repeats this over and over and if I don't do it right then all hell breaks lose and he gets really distressed and jumps up and down 'flapping' and getting aggitated, crying, screaming and telling me I'm doing it wrong. It's more than a tantrum he is genuinely upset and distressed about it. If I do it right he is absolutely fine.

He doesn't talk to adults he doesn't know. He didn't talk to his reception teacher for the first half term. She had to repeat the bury infant test twice as he wouldn't answer the questions!! She is the schools SENCO but didn't think that there was a problem. He is now in yr one though and his problems have got worse over the last year.

He hasn't made any friends. I have invited a boy from his class over to play ( I know the boys mum) and ds said he was looking forward to it but when he came over ds looked like he didn't know how to play with him or communicate with him. Odd as he has 3 brothers who he plays with with no problems.

Lots of obsessions ie, will only wear certain clothes, won't eat apples with any kind of bruise or blemish, smells in general, dirty things.

These are just a few things, I have made a huge list to show the gp. Ds has had a tough year as he was diagnosed with juvenile idiopathic arthritis(JIA) with uveitis(inflammation of the eyes) and hypermobility last year. He has always been difficult and I thought after his diagnosis that maybe it has been being in pain (but strangly he has never complained of pain) that was causing him to be difficult. I hoped that now his arthritis was under control that his behaviour would get better but it seems to be getting worse.

I'm assuming that seeing the gp is the right way to go as I'm reluctant to go to hv as I think she is abit usless. I approached the hv when he was 2yrs old about his behaviour but was just told to use reward charts etc and to get on with it.

I'm sorry this has become abit of an epic but any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Thanks very much.:\)

Love Holly.x

[Modified by: Derbs on 29 March 2010 14:41:41 ]

Replies

• Hi, It's really difficult to tell, from what you describe he does sound as though he has some sort of ASD, but I am not an expert, My youngest son is 3 next month and is currently under review for ASD, Aspergers, dyspraxia and sensory problems, I think it is a really long road to getting a diagnosis and at times a very lonely one. I have joined another forum called asd friendly, it is brilliant for advice/sounding off and generally full of people who know exactly what you are going through, I would recommend looking on there as it has helped me loads. xxx
  • Hi Thanks for your reply.
    I will have a look at that forum. I really hope you get some answers for your lo soon. I will let you know how we get on at gp's next week.
    Thanks again.
    Holly.x
  • hi, derbs I just happened to see this topic and thought i would reply.

I dont have any children of my own yet (just early days of pregnancy) however my sister was diagnosed with aspergers 2 yrs ago at the age of 22.

Since she was around 3 my mum was concerned that my sister was different in a way that may cause her problems. she took her to numerous gp's over the years to be told that she was an anxious mother and that there was nothing wrong. so nothing happened and my sister struggled through school and life without many friends or support.

luckily she was given a part time job by a family friend when she tried to study for a levels. however after 2 yrs this fell through and she found she was left without a job or in education. she had to sign on the dole, and applied for over 300 jobs over the next year, and was unsuccessful at any interview she got. the dole then forced her to go onto a course with people who had been in prison, to try to get her back into work. this broke my mum's heart and finally she snapped and demanded to have my sister referred.

after another 18 months my sister finally received a diagnosis of aspergers, and although not much can be done for her, it means that there is a bit of financial support and if she finds herself out of work again the same thing cannot happen. it also helped her to get her current employment as employers have to look at the disability act.

however, if all this was done earlier, then her life would have been a lot easier.

all i can say is that i'm sure you know more than anyone as a mother, so make sure the gp gives you as much time as you need, (the gp who finally referred my sister had never actually heard of aspergers,and had to do research!)

hope this helps a little, good luck xx
  • Hi Derbs. If the GP doesn't suggest it, I would recommend getting your son's communication and social skills assessed by a speech and language therapist. This might shed some light on the the difficulties he has in making/keeping friends. In our area, a child has to have been assessed by a speech and language therapist (SLT) before a referral to our ASD diagnostic team is even considered. You can refer your own child for an assessment by an SLT. Just contact your local clinic on details about how to go about doing this. If you look up the 'talking point' website you can get details of your local service. X
  • Hi Campbelly, do you mind if I pick your brains?? My son saw the SaLT in February, he was referred by the paed. She came and saw him and her report says possible higher level pragmatic language difficulties, I dont really understand what that means and someone said it is basically the speech side of ASD, she also noted that he presented with some sensory problems and possibley dyspraxia/ motor planning, perception and co-ordination problems. He has had a hearing test today (also referred by the paed) and he passed the hearing test although interestingly he 'shut down' halfway through it and stopped responding, so much so that they were concerned he had a substantial hearing loss, he then snapped out of his little world and carried on as normal.

Would you be able to explain what the SaLt meant by the things she has put in her report, we are due to have a meeting again soon with everyone involved in Isaacs care but trying to pin anyone down to explain in the meantime is not proving easy.

Thanks
  • Hi Holly,

Sorry to G/C... I work with children with autism (although not aspergers) so hope you don't mind me interrupting... I'm guessing you've probably seen this, but if not the NAS site has some information here which might help http://www.nas.org.uk/asperger

Hope you've managed to get some answers with the GP.

xx