Forum home Toddlers & older children Children with special needs
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

WORRIED NOW

HI PEEPS IM REALLY PISSED OFF NOW.JUST SPOKE TO WORK AND BECAUSE I HAVE BEEN OFF WORK FOR THREE MONTHS NOW WITH CHRONIC BACK PAIN THEY SAYING THEY MIGHT PUT ME ON EARLY MAT LEAVE!!THING IS IM ALREADY TAKING MY MAT LEAVE AT THE EARLIEST POINT I CAN WHICH IS 29WEEKS.AND IM SURE BY LAW YOU CANT TAKE IT EARLIER??SO CAN THEY MAKE ME TAKE MAT LEAVE EARLIER(25 WEEKS)??I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO NOW.XX

Replies

• hi mel... don't know if you realised that you posted this in the special needs bit... lol :\)

you're quite right. by law they can't make you take your mat leave before 29 weeks. but you could find yourself not being paid your full maternity pay because you do have to be in paid work for so many weeks up to leaving to qualify.

take care xxx

http://www.dwp.gov.uk/lifeevent/benefits/statutory_maternity_pay.asp#workedout

"""
    How is my SMP worked out?
    Your employer will look at your gross earnings paid to you in a set period. This is usually the eight week period up to and including the 15th week before your expected week of childbirth. The period your employer uses may vary depending on how often you are paid - weekly, monthly or other intervals."""
  • hi thanks for that,i wondered where i posted my subject lol.looked everywhere for it and then found it under my other topics!!doh!!