Forum home Toddlers & older children Children with special needs

Hayley l

Hi, I read the post about Megan having Hypermobility. Just wanted to say i have it too. How is she with it? It never affected me as a child and I got on with things without any bother. I too have inward turning knees which look weird to me but no one else really notices, main effect being I wear down shoes on one side lol!!! I have only really had bother since I put on weight as a teenager (got better once I lost it again) as the weight put pressure on my joints. It was a bother again when I was pregnant from quite early on but I have to say it wasn't half as bad as people I knew with SPD and didn't end up with crutches, jsut had to wear a giant tubygrip round my hips! Very annoying when going to the loo!!!

Anyhoo, just wanted to post to let you know there are others of us with it who cope fine and although I have had pain at times nothing too bad that I couldn't cope with. Hope your wee girl is well and is as lucky as me.

Replies

• Thanks for posting, it is nice to know that she may well have no problems with it, at the moment she gets quite a lot of pains in her knees and ankles, mainly when she is growing, the doctor says its down to the joints not being able to support the growth, she too wears her shoes down on one side although that has improved a lot since she had the orthotic inserts. Funny I always wear my shoes down and me knees are slightly turned in, also when they tested with the beighton scale I scored 5 which indicates I have it, like you I've never had any problems from it although I did have spd with 2 of my pregnancies and I do get joint pain sometimes, so hopefully with physio she will be fine.
  • It more my hips and knees that get it. It's so hard to keep up exercises so don't feel bad if you have to be the bad mummy sometimes. My mum couldn't get me to do mine at all and it always ended up a screaming match. I wish I could go back and kick my 5 year old self up the bum! lol!

The only thing on that test I can't do is touch my toes but I could when I was younger! lol!
  • I can do that, and the fingers bending at an angle of 90 degress or more and the bendy thumb one, couldnt work out if my elbows and knees were hyperextending, its difficult to tell, Isaac has it too and the paediatrician said his knees are excessively hyperextensive but I cant quite see what he means. My parents were a bit crap about things, my dad ws in the army and I remember seeing an army doctor when we lived in Germany and he just said its growing pains, so that was that, maybe physio would have helped. I have got Meg a gym ball but she just moans that she cant do it and I dont really like arguing with her about it, think I will have to learn to be harder about it.
  • If your elbows and knees are hyperextended then they bend further than they should when straight, so instead of the join stopping when the arm is straight it goes a little further. My knees are the worst, if you look side on you see my legs actually bend backwards at the knee when completely straight. Doctors told me not to stand with my knees locked as this will make them sorer. You can strenghten them by standing with your legs looking straight but not locked (where they are supposed to be lol). It's so hard to remember not to lock my knees when I'm standing and takes a lot of effort but if your kids start young they have a good chance of strenghtening their joints!

lol hope that made sense!
  • That makes loads of sense, my knees are always locked when I stand straight, I will have to try not to, pretty hard habit to break when you have been doing it for 36 years though :lol: