Forum home Toddlers & older children Children with special needs
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

anyone with child in wheelchair

hi i am mainly ranting now and if anyone has any suggestions i would be very happy. you see my little girl is in a wheelchair and the place that is dealing with her is crap. they measure her then 3 months down the line they bring the wheelchair and tell me it will not fit for long cause she grown so much.(what do they expect her to stay small lol) and then to top it of they tell me the chair has not been crash tested for her to use to be transported to school how is she meant to get to school. anyone had this trouble just needed a rant cause sick of some of the medical people we see
thanks for reading x

Replies

• Hi,

I'm a teacher of kids who need a wheelchair to get around. It's Westmark we deal with and they are exactly like you describe! It's soooo frustrating. Usually our kids have to wait 3-6 months for an appointment to get measured then another 3 months for the chair. Most of the time the chair isn't suitable because it's too small or it doesn't have enough support. We have also had problems with chairs that aren't crash tested (convaid cruisers) and we had to just use them anyway!!! Luckily we got that one changed eventually when it needed a repair for something else. Always stick to your guns and get onto your child's physio or OT (who ever deals with wheelchairs in your area). We complained for about a year before we got one girl totally sorted and now she is in a very comfortable well fitting chair.
  • i'm more the child in the wheelchair than the parent (but no longer a child lol) have to say its always been as you describe in my experience and doesnt get much easier as your daughter matures because although she will grow slower there will be other reasons to alter the chair. (the frequency of this would depend to an extent on her condition. the best advice i can give you is to persevere in getting what is right for your child and stand your ground if you notice any problems with what she has been provided with. i personally have had a worse experience using social workers and OT's to sort me out than when i finally decided to confront the people myself. i know deal with all my equiptment issues etc myself and i find i get a much more proactive response from the companies.

hope this ramble is of some help!