Forum home Toddlers & older children Children with special needs
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

potty training autistic child

my son is 3 and on autistic spectrum,has anyone done or started potty training?

Replies

• Hi my daughter has Aspergers. She is almost 7 now but I remember potty training clearly with her! 

She would not for all the love in the world sit on a potty! she would only ever use the toilet and then we had to follow a strict routine (toilet,wipe,wash hands and then she would go outside the door whilst i flushed toilet) even now she will not flush toilet and be in the room due to her noise sensitivity. 

she would wash her hands for ages (she has OCD too) and her consultant suggested an egg timer so she was in control of her obsession.

how are you getting on with it so far? I am potty training my 2 and half year old who is NT and ive found it very different xx

• Well my 4yr old DD who has ASD is yet to be toilet trained.  It is proving a long & difficult challenge with such obstructions as her believing a potty to be a 'ride on' toy, seeing the toilet basin as 'water play' & her lack of speech making it difficult to communicate.

As she is now 4yrs old we have support with nappy supplies from the government until such point as she no longer needs them (however far down the line that may be).  In the meantime we are progressing slowly, she is consistantly changed in the bathroom so she knows this is where 'poo poo' & 'wee wee' belongs.  We change her whilst she is stood rather than laying her down as she is no longer a baby & whilst doing this we encourage her to 'help' in dressing/undressing herself so she gets used to the idea.  We have a toilet seat adapter for her to sit upon to get her used to the idea of sitting upon the toilet & are slowly increasing the length of time we ask her to sit upon it with words of praise such as 'Clever Girl sitting on the toilet', 'Well done for trying to do wee wee'.  We now use toilet paper to wipe rather than wetwipes so she can again get used to the texture & feel before seeing it flush away.  Lastly we wash her hands & dry them upon a towel (we hate hand dryers with a passion).

Her younger sister is also going through the same treatment to help encourage big sis with seeing her sibling using the toilet also.

• My daughter may or may not have some kind of autism. She is 6 now and I have never had her tested due to how much progress we have made. I remember potty training was impossible. My health visitor saw she could tell her dolls what to do on the doll potty she had.

What I did was to buy a toilet seat when she was slightly older which had a smaller drop down seat for her. Relatively cheap solution, ??25-35 from b and q or homwbase. I forget which. She wasn't to amused by that either but I persisted and had to hold her hands while she was on the toilet for the first few months and after that she would hold the radiator herself. I used to take her to the bathroom with me frequently and look happy sat on the toilet too.

Best of luck with your wee one.
  • Hello, i know potty training is not easy, maybe you can check out this video about the 3 Days potty training.

•  Carwyn Turbo Potty Training is best for the babies..i tried it with my son and it is really helpful