Forum home Toddlers & older children Children with special needs

Weaning autistic son while pregnant - is my breast milk alright?

Hello I am 11 weeks pregnant and my 3 year old son who has autism is still exclusively breastfeeding though my breast milk comes only like a pinched out pimple or I can say it's not coming anymore. I tried stopping him since he was 2 but all we got was tantrums and sleepless nights. What worries me is the quality of my breast milk now. Is it still safe for him through out my pregnancy or will it affect my colostrum supply for my next baby. Some moms say that it's waste now and is no longer healthy. Is that true? Please help me. I have no problem feeding both my children together later on

Replies

• You might have already found help elsewhere but I didn’t want to read and run..

Congratulations on your pregnancy, And on feeding your son for 3 years, amazing! The safety of your breast milk will be completely unaffected by your pregnancy and is still safe for him. Your may find that it dries up completely during your pregnancy. In that instance, some women find they are able to tolerate “dry nursing” during the later stages of their pregnancy and then go on to tandem feed.

There is some suggestion that breastfeeding/ nipple stimulation can bring on labour but this only occurs at full term, so it is safe for you to continue to feed. 

Lots of mums find it helps to ease the transition of adding a sibling if you don’t try weaning/ moving out of parental bedroom/ other big changes to routine at the same time as a new baby arriving. 

Of course your milk is still good for him! Yes he is now able to get nutrition from elsewhere, but your milk is still the perfect balance for him and still packed with antibodies to new germs you are both coming across all the time. Saying breastmilk loses its goodness after a certain age is like saying that broccoli is no longer nutritious if your are too old. 

Good luck in your journey, whether either you or your son wean him before your new baby arrives, or if you continue to feed together xx