Forum home Toddlers & older children Children's health
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

immunisations

i have to have both my childrens jabs done tommorow my sons is the 1 year  set and my daughters is the 4 year set, i am so worried as i hate the thought of anything hurting them. my son may just about cope as he is a real tuffy but my daughter is very sencitive, does anyone have any tips on how to get her to cope with it? and where do they do them is it still in the thighs? xxx

Replies

• jack had his 1yr ones in his arms, that made me feel bad!image

my sister just had her 4yr old ones, mum explained just before she went in, yes it would hurt but it was so she didnt get nasty bugs at school, and told her if she was good she could have a comic and a sweet when it was over. my sister is very sensitive and vey dramatic, she screamed but then said do i get my sweetie and forgot all about it!

• I didn't tell my 4 year old.I just took him and dealt with the fireworks after.At least I didn't have to carry him up the street screaming.

My one year old had hers in her thighs.

Can you get separate appointments so one doesn't see the other?That usually helps when I have more than one to do

• My eldest has the 40mth jabs tomorrow afternoon, haven't told her yet because she worries about things too much, I'm planning on explaining it tomorrow over lunch so she knows whats going to happen but doesn't have too long to worry about it.  Going to take her out for a treat afterwards too and hoping that works ok.  My sister in law said this way worked best for her girls.

• i really explained in detail to my 4 year old and promised a treat after and she was amazing didnt cry at all i was so impressed! my son on the other hand apparently had missed a booster as well so had to have 3, 2 in one thigh and 1 in the other thigh was awful he screamed his head off, felt so cruel pinning him downimage if id had known how stressed out he would have got would definatly have spread them out over the next few weeks but the nurse really put the guilt trip on me about how he would really be at risk if i didnt have them all today as he would be unprotected. x
  • My toddlers both got behind with their jabs,but the nurse wouldn't do them all in one go.She said they had to space them out at least four weeks.She wouldn't do the 2 and 4 year old together,cos they'd see the other one and know what was happening.Same with the 1 and 2 year old.I've been up and down that surgery for weeks,I've just got Matilda's MMR to catch up now.

Immunisations are important but your nurse could've let your little boy have one another time,although that said at least it's all over in one go.You don't have to do that again for a while.Feels very mean doing it

• your nurse sounds better than mine, she was just awful so unsymperfetic makes me so mad when you get 1 like that as its a big problem when babies have a bad experiance at a surgery i doubt are ever get my son in there again,. hes little thighs are all bruised from the very badly put in needles today image
  • Poor baby,sounds nastyHope fully he won't remember too much about it.

We have two practice nurses,one's better than the other.When my son was 6 weeks his belly button hadn't healed properly so he had this ointment for it (the same stuff they use for warts and verrucas so you have to use it carefully)The doctor did the first dose fine, one of the nurses did the second but she got it all over his belly,it took the skin off from just below his chest to right down in his nappy.It wasn't till I got home I saw how bad it was.It looked like he'd been burned.I would have done better to do it myself.I should've taken him back that same day and showed the doctor but I didn't,I just put loads of Sudocrem and a dressing on and it healed fine.I've had to have her do injections since but I don't really have a choice