Forum home Toddlers & older children Children's health
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Treatments - Nitty Gritty

Nitty Gritty

Nitty Gritty is a popular nit comb created by a couple of entrepreneurial mums! The combs should be effective on their own but NG have also sent our testers a bottle of Nitty Gritty head lice solution as well! (lucky them!)

So if you're one of our Nitty Gritty testers we'd love to know:

Did it work?

How easy was it to apply?

How did it feel on your child's head and what did it smell like?

What did your child think?

Any tips to help other mums get to grips with it?

And criticisms and would you recommend it?

If you're not one of our testers but have used the product we'd still love to know what you thought - just mention you're not a tester and where you bought the product from.

Happy...um...nit combing!

Replies

• Options

Not a tester again,but I like this one.

It costs us a fortune to buy enough lotion to do all my kids so I didn't mind paying a tenner for this.I was very sceptical when we got lice a few weeks ago,and really only bought it cos we were camping and had no way to use a lotion,I was sure it wasn't going to wor,but proved very wrong,and very impressed.

Just wash hair as normal,and with generous conditoner,you first comb with a normal comb to get your knots out,then just comb through with the Nitty Gritty comb.The teeth are loner than normal and also have a groove that helps catch more of the lice and the eggs.My older daughters have long hair,my eldest has lots of hair,so getting them all and the eggs has been a problem with other combs.This one got just about all the first day.Second day there were maybe half a dozen,next day next to none.I used it again on my younger daughter a couple of weeks ago and same again there..

You have to take your time and be thorough.Take the hair into segments,do a little at a time,and wipe the comb on a bit of white kitchen towel,so you can see them as they come out.Beware they will be ALIVE.They will be moving,so check your clothes.

We use this as a preventive now,when the girls wash their hair,we comb as normal,and follow with a check with the Nitty Gritty.I use the spray on  3 in 1 repellent spray as conditioner to help with the combing.

I would recommend it.

• Options
    I have tested this for the site.

I was intrigued to see if this comb would be as good as the reviews that I have read for it.

I have always had a problem with getting the nits (eggs) out of my daughters hair - they seem to stick fast to her thick hair. This Nitty Gritty comb works!
    It got the headlice and the eggs out - not all of them, but I will continue to use the nitty gritty at every hair wash!

One tip I have when using this comb is to use loads of conditioner - at first we didn't use enough and it hurt her!

A great thing about this comb is the fact that they give a lifetime guarantee - if it breaks or rusts you just send it back to the address on the packaging - fantastic customer service in my opinion!!

My daughter was pleased with the results - but like every child doesn't want me going through her hair again! until the next itch and she says she will pick the nitty gritty over any of the other nit combs we have used before!

I have not yet used the nitty gritty solution that was sent with the comb - but will update as soon as I do.

Thanks for the opportunity to test!
  • Options
    Update as promised -

We used the Nitty Gritty Aromatherapy Lotion, it is a mixture of 5 aromatherapy oils.

It made is easier to comb through, the lice actually came away from the scalp so you could see them.

The problem is though that my daughter had a bad reaction to the lotion - she got it on her skin and she was itchy and sore - I had to re-wash her hair a few times before she stopped complaining of itchyness, and this time the itching was not the headlice!

I wouldnt use it again purely because of the reaction my daughter had
  • Options
    Hi toes10,

I'm Amanda, one of the Nitty Gritty Mums.
    I'm delighted to hear that you loved our comb, but really sorry to hear about your daughter's reaction to our Nitty Gritty Solution.
    It is so rare that we hear about any reaction; in fact a lot of mums have told us that it has help heal and soothe their children's scalps after prolonged use of harsh head lice treatments.

I am wondering if your daughter might have a slight allergy to tea tree. Even though the Nitty Gritty Solution only has a very small amount in it, a small number of children do have a mild allergy to tea tree.

We have only had three incidents of a reaction to our Solution in twelve years and all have been mild, so I am really sorry that your daughter has been so unlucky. If she catches head lice again, it's probably best to just use conditioner with the Nitty Gritty Comb and probably best to steer clear of tea tree in shampoos and conditioners.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to contact us. All our details are on our website. www.nittygritty.co.uk

Thanks for taking part and giving honest feedback. We can only improve if mums like you tell us what they think of our products.
    Amanda
  • Options
     I am a professional hairdresser for 22 years. I have made a mistake to use this on my daughter’s hair which is long, fine straight hair, but lots of it. I have used it with a very good conditioner, and combed the hair carefully. It helped with the nits, but the grooves on the comb had stretched and damaged the hair. Hair is elastic when wet, and the combing with this had stretched and damaged it. As a result, her hair is not visibly badly  broken, but way more tangled and hard to maintain day to day, and cannot be restored. I would not recommend it. Use a regular nit comb, which will not do this kind of damage 
  • Options
     I am a professional hairdresser for 22 years. I have made a mistake to use this on my daughter’s hair which is long, fine straight hair, but lots of it. I have used it with a very good conditioner, and combed the hair carefully. It helped with the nits, but the grooves on the comb had stretched and damaged the hair. Hair is elastic when wet, and the combing with this had stretched and damaged it. As a result, her hair is not visibly badly  broken, but way more tangled and hard to maintain day to day, and cannot be restored. I would not recommend it. Use a regular nit comb, which will not do this kind of damage