Forum home Toddlers & older children Children's health
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Treatments - Boots electric nit comb

Boots' own electric nit comb

Boots have got a battery powered comb now so zap the horrid little critters. It detects and kills the lice and can be used on dry hair.. which should come in handy.

So if you're one of our Boots testers we'd love to know:

Did it work?

How easy was it to apply?

How did it feel on your child's head?

What did your child think?

Any tips to help other mums get to grips with it?

And criticisms and would you recommend it?

If you're not one of our testers but have used the product we'd still love to know what you thought - just mention you're not a tester and where you bought the product from.

Happy zapping!

Replies

• We've had one of these for a while.

We got it from Boots(suprise),for around £20,which I thought was a little steep,but compared to repeat  buyings of potions,I thought it was worth it.

You use this on dry hair,so if I suspect a beastie I just comb it through and catch them early on.Used it lunchtime today and got one from Arwen cos I saw one as we came out of nursery,and I haven't been using the repellent on her as it's quite expensive to use on all of mine.I  also use it on myself as it's easier to use that than try to check my own hair,and I'm bound to catch them if the girls do as I 'm the one getting them out.

Main critisism would be that it doesn't kill the eggs.The kids don't mind using it,just so long as you dn't catch the top of their ears,they get a little zap them selves.(it has happened).

There's something about zapping the bug and seeing it dead my kids like.....that might just be my kidsimage

• Hi, thankyou have become the proud owner of a Boots electronic nit comb, so far it has been great, and we have all been nit free for a few weeks now image

For the first week I used it daily on my kids (not the baby who is too young but she hasnt ever caught them anyway)

Love that it can be used on dry hair as it has meant i could use it straight away and I didnt have to make an evening of washing all their heads and then combing through so a lot more convenient, also meant i could use it daily with ease.

it was very effective in detecting and killing the little critters, with a little zap when one is found (which the kids loved and if I'm honest me too image  image 

I have carried on using it twice a week ever since as it doesnt kill the eggs and also to catch any more little critters that they may pick up at school, and so far we have not had a return.

It is very easy to clean with a neat little brush which is kept in the handle.  

• I have used this a few times now - it does as it says, sends a little shock to the lice - but my daughters hair is so thick that it takes an age to get through it all.
    Great on fine hair though I imagine.
  • IM desperate to get rid of these little critters as my daughters have them all the time, as quick as I clean there bk..... wil purchase one of these... thanks for comments

• im not one of your testers but would like to comment.

my sister has 4 children and recently they have all had a problem with headlice.....

after many bottles and lotions she bought one of those electronic combs from boots, after 3 weeks of using it she binned it and went back to the shampoos!!!!

the thing is no matter how many times you check and treat, theres always some poor kid at school whos parents dont know or dont care!!!

her advice is check check check and as soon as you see anything treat treat treat!!!(and dont frget to wash everything!!!)

as for the comb a big thumbs down from her image
  • My son has had a problem the last few months with them, he keeps getting them at school. I have three children 14 12 and 7. They have all had them in the past and I have never once used any treatments to get rid of them. The first time I experienced them my health visitor gave me a comb told me to smother the hair with conditioner and comb through. I always get the head clean of any that are mature enough to lay eggs as well as the rest. After that you go through their hair every 3 days for 2 weeks by which time all the eggs have hatched and lice have grown big enough to catch. It's only now my youngest keeps getting reinfected and I'm fed up doing the conditioner thing and so is he which is why I thought this electric comb would be good. But potions are a waste of time and money a comb is just as effective.
  • I have tried everything I use the comb and conditioner I use the comb and hedrin every 2 weeks I have tried neem oil too! I'm a hairdresser so I know how to take fine sections and I really do take forever but this has been 5 years of never being clear I'm going to buy the electronic comb but I will use it along with all the other treatments I'm doing. I just need to know which one is the best??