Forum home Toddlers & older children Children's health
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Treatments - Vosene Shampoo

Vosene anti head lice shampoo

Vosene are a bit different in that it's a shampoo that claims to repel the bugs and prevent your child catching them! Sounds good to us!

With this one it's a bit tricker to really tell whether it works a it depends on how close to infected children your child has got and just because one person catches them while using it doens't mean that it doesn't work repelling the majority so while we'd love to know if it's kept your children clear, it's really helpful to hear about how easy it is to use and that sort of thing!

So if you're one of our Vosene testers we'd like to know:

How easy was it to apply?

How did it feel on your child's head and what did it smell like?

What did your child think?

Any tips to help other mums get to grips with it?

And criticisms and would you recommend it?

If you're not one of our testers but have used the product we'd still love to know what you thought - just mention you're not a tester and where you bought the product from.

Happy...repelling!

Replies

• Bought this from the supermarket, we have weekly re-infestations so we are all fed up of combing and picking!

Unfortunately it smells horrible, causes bad dandruff (perhaps it is a ploy to sell more vosene anti-dandruff shampoo!) and doesnt appear to have any effect on the little blighters. So its back to the conditioner and combing through.

We are not official testers, just end-users. anyone else found anything that smells OK and doesnt turn your hair to straw?

• We're not testers,we've been using the Vosene kids 3 in 1 for about 6 months now.It smells fine,I quite like the tes tree oil smell.Has conditioner in so leaves your hair nice and most importantly keeps the little blighters away.As soon as we stop using it the bugs come back,so we're big fans.

Vosene ordinary shampoo,the adults kind is no good.Smells like creosote and leaves your hair looking like you used it to mop the floor,and if you use an anti dandruff shampoo when you don't need it ,it'll give you dandruff.The kids 3 in 1 is very good,no skin irritations for us and we do have that problem with some shampoos.

We buy ours from Tesco,my girls use it themselves,it's just like your normal 2 in 1 shampoo.As for its effectiveness,we have children at more than one school so repeat infections used to be a big problem,but as long as the children are using this they haven't been getting them,unless we  run out ,or someone decideds to try Mummy's shampoo.

• I am a product tester for this item.  I used it on my eldest daughter's hair, and I also tested it on my own hair.  (just to give it a thorough test).  My hair feels really clean, and although I still need a seperate conditioner, the shampoo did leave it softer than my usual shampoo.  

I thought the smell was fine, it reminds me of citronella (that you get in garden shops as an insect repellant), but not quite as strong.

It was easy to apply, as shampoos are, easy to open the lid.

The bottle is appealing looking.

But most of all, my head and hair feel really fresh and clean, almost like a cooled sensation (must be the tea tree oil), so I may use the shampoo myself, as well as using it on my children. 

I can't say what effect it has on head lice, as my children have never caught them yet, but hopefully it will repel any that want to live on their heads.

Do we just do the review here, or also on the product review section?

• Here's fine, thanks audrey!

I'm going to collect all our testers and mums tips together and do a big head lice product review once we've tried everything out.

• HI Im testing this product for you!

have only used it a couple of times so far, but have found it really easy to use.  And the smell is just gorgeous, though slightly medicinal i have to say but i quite like that kinda smell for some strange reason!  The kids really like the smell too, my oldest thought it smelt like limes! I only used a small blob on their heads, so it didnt lather up as much as i thought it might do.  And i loved the bottle-very bright and easy to open.

My only complaint is that despite their hair felling really soft and smelling beautiful, it wasnt as shiny as normal.  My daughter has really fair hair and it looked so dull.   However if it keeps the little blighters out of their hair, its a small price to pay!

• I am not testing this for the site but we have been using vosene for kids for a few weeks now.
    I am sorry to say it has not worked to repell the headlice in our house! image

We used the shampoo 2 or 3 times then I noticed they were back!!

I have to say though that it is a great shampoo - it contains conditioner and is the only 2in1 that seems to leave my daughters hair feeling soft!
  • I am testing the product thank you!

Well we haven't had headlice so far so hard to tell if the repellant works but my oldest's best friend had them and so far she hasn't got them so maybe it does.

As a shampoo it was easy to use - foams up loads so don't need too much of it and the girls hair felt nice and soft afterwards and it was easy to comb - probably better than their normal shampoo. The smell was OK - a bit insect repellanty -  which I suppose is exactly what it is - but in quite a nice way - wouldn't say I love it though! The oldest says it smells of lemon and the youngest isn't really bothered by that sort of thing yet! No complaints about eyes stinging when it's washed out so as a general shampoo gets a general thumbs up and I will continue to use the bottle sent to us - I might even buy it if I saw it for sale locally but wouldn't go out of my way to get it.

• not a tester but have used it.

It seems pretty good to start with but it dried out my daughters hair and scalp to the point where she'd get scabby sore bits. After speaking with her hairdresser she suggested stopping using the vosene as the nits would be attracted to the sore bits.

• Use it every other hair wash and nasty nits have been blighted once and for all!!!

• We have used for two years, both shampoo and leave in spray, and not had one set of the dreaded lice on either of my kids.....

• We have been using Vosene 3 in 1 for quite  awhile now, I say we, me and My Daughter that is ever since we had a really bad infestation.  It took me 3 hours to delice my hair and I was in tears as my hair is long and curly.  It definitely makes our hair clean and smell nice and I am sure that it helps to keep the things away, as we notice that if there are any (which is not very often and we check every week as she is at junior school and nearly everyday there is a message about them.) they are usually dead or dying.  After having a bad infestation in my own hair let alone my daughters I would not use anything else, as I never want to go through that again!