Forum home Toddlers & older children Children's health
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Panic attacks

Hi there Im Sam im 27 and have a 9 year old son that has started suffering from panic attacks. He has a fear that im going to leave him or that im not going to be there when he comes home from school. I have never left him and would never leave. I love him so much and he is my main priority in life. Im a good mum although i suffer from depression and anxiety i cant help thinking i have triggered off his anxiety and it breaks my heart. I was his age when i started suffering with anxiety and i can honestly say it ruined my childhood and is still ruining my life now as it always seems to have control over me despite medication or relaxation etc. I have realised thats its just the way i am although I like to think i keep that part of me hidden from my son but of course at times he has probably noticed there has been problems and things going on in my life. I have a very supportive amazing partner that is excellent with my son and treats him like his own child although my son has his dad that he sees a few times a week and has a good relationship with. He is also very close to my parents and has so much love around him. He is a very active, popular child and plays for a local football team that he loves. He has dyslexia and struggles at school because of this which bothers him, he has lots of ocd traits and has to repeat himself all the time and constantly ask for reassurance which can be very draining. He has also started asking me what im doing today every morning before school and gets really aggitated if i am going out or have an errand to run and worries that im not going to be home on time for him. I feel i have to lie and say im staying in the house because i dont want him spending his day worrying. He has stopped wanting to go to school so that he can be in the house with me all the time aswel. The reason for my thread is because tonight he had a full blown panic attack and it took me ages to calm him down, he was shaking, his heart pounding, he said his throat was very tight and that he couldnt breathe. It broke my heart but i stayed strong and eventually calmed him down. I have spoken to the dr about his fears and he has a follow up appointment in a few weeks. Does anyone elses kids suffer from panic disorder and have any tips? Thanks