Forum home Toddlers & older children Children's health
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Has anyone been through the same

Hello all, i'm new here and just wondering if anyone has been through the same.

Ok so here goes, my little boy George now 3 has always suffered with ear infections and was fairly behind in his speech but was in private speech therapy and slowly coming on.  We thought he was just a lazy boy and he knew how to get what he wanted without talking so what was the issue?!

The last friday in April he came home from nursery more tired than usual but nothing to worry about, he then got up the next day late which is unusual for him and was very tired all day and litreally slept the entire day.  Then it happened, he got up on Sunday morning and he couldn't walk, I rushed him to the local A&E where we waited four hours to be seen! (clearly cut fingers come before a child who suddenly has no use of his legs) we were then taken down to the childrens ward and seen by a doctor who instantly started treating him for meningitis (turns out it wasn't meningitis) but also wanted to do a CT Scan, CT Scan results come back and he had hydrocephalus (Excess fluid on the brain) and a shadow on his brain.  I was devastated he was blue lighted in an ambulance to Alder Hey childrens hospital for brain surgery to remove the hydrocephalus and the next day he was given a 2 and a half hour MRI scan to see what the shadow was.  he had a tumour 5x7cm in the cerebellum (the back of the brain near the brain stem).

He had an 10 hour surgery to remove the tumour, thank god it was removable! and also thankfully it was found to be benign (Pilocytic Astrocytoma Grade 1)

My amazing brave loving boy is now perfectly healthy and has even completely caught up with his speech and development and has been discharged from speech therapy. i'm so proud of him. 

My issue is that i'm struggling to get past it.  he's got his follow up scan at the end of this month and I keep crying as im terrified its going to of come back.  I'm just wondering if anyone has been through the same and can offer any advice?

Thanks for reading x

Replies

• Hi Puddles15, we just wanted to say how touched we are reading your story. That's some major stuff for you and your son George to have been through. Have you thought about maybe trying to get some counselling to help you cope with this trauma?