Forum home Toddlers & older children Children's health
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Does anyone know what this (rash?) is??? MFM Edited title: staphorius bacteria (aka staph aureus)

My little girl is 3. At first I thought this was a reaction to mosquito bites and our family doc said it looked like that too (intolerance to the mosquito proteins). But now it’s getting a lot worse and I’m worried. I’m hoping to see if I can get some answers to avoid a hospital visit that will only upset her further. Please help!!!imageimage

Replies

• Options

Wow, that looks so painful. I'm so sorry for your lg. I have to say, my husband was recently bitten by some mosquitos - he never usually suffers - but these were extraordinary and caused huge swelling. Not saying that's what this is, cause i really don't know - have you taken her to see a pharmacist? Wishing her better. 

• Options

Hi just seen this pls take her back to be seen looks like Tick bite. did she play outdoors?

i hope it helps 

• Options

fludu is right - google tick bite - it really does look like that. Deffo go back asap. 

• Options

I took my girl to the children’s hospital shortly after posting as I wasn’t taking any chances. Below was the diagnosi...

So....staphorius bacteria (aka staph aureus) is apparently a bacteria that's everywhere, including all over our skin all the time...when Maryssa scratched the bug bite on her leg and opened it, the bacteria got into the wound and created a skin infection. That infection then got under her nails and spread pretty much everywhere she touched especially anywhere else she scratched. The appearance of the infected areas is known as "weeping" - when the infection is spreading under the skin. By about 2:00 am there were blisters and fluid was leaking which part of the weeping. It's definitely a good thing we brought her in. Unfortunately, it's highly contagious so we have to be careful. She's on an antibiotic called Keflex for 10 days. 

• Options

Thanks for the update. Your intuition to take her in was spot on .Glad it isn't tick bite and she is on treatment for the staphy aurues skin infection

• Options

I'm so glad you got this sorted - well done for taking her in x