Forum home Toddlers & older children Children's health

Baby straining

Hi,

My baby is 7 weeks old next week and has been straining at night time since around week 3. Lately she seems to be staining a lot more in the day and  at night.  She is formula fed, we recently moved on to hip orgainc formula, we were using Aptimel to start with. We use dr browns anti colic bottles and make sure we wind her after each feed and keep her upright after she has finished feeding for at least half an hour. She sleeps well during the day with some straining but at night time she strains a lot more. She's not crying with it, so I don't believe she is in pain but its difficult for me to hear her straining and she sounds uncomfortable. She's pooing well so it's not constipation. I have spoken with different health visitors and they have said that it is her getting used to her body digesting her food and that she will eventually get used to it and grow out out of it. Has anyone else experienced this? We've tried infacol which was good and made her burp a lot more but we were advised to switch to gripe water at 4 weeks as it's easier for baby to digest. Gripe worked well but didn't stop or help the straining so we were advised to try colief. Colief again made her burp more but didn't help the straining and made her poo a very runny liquid and we noticed she cried a lot more when on colief so we stopped it. We have also tried raising the foot of her moses basket a little, no higher than 5cm as per a health visitors advice, and this seems to have helped her but she is still straining a lot at night. Although I've been told it's normal and should stop around 3 months, its hard to listen to. Can anyone relate? Can anyone recommend anything we haven't already tried? Many thanks!