Forum home Toddlers & older children Children's health
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Chickenpox!

My lo has got chickenpox! Anyone elses lo had/has it? Just for some recommendations on how to best help ease any itching of pain.

Also I've never had it myself and would it be possible for me to catch it?

Replies

• Options
    hi there, I remember chicken pox vividly, I had it 5 years ago on my 30th birthday!!!!!!

So yes, if you haven't had chicken pox then you can get it, even if you had it just mildy you can get it again. Once you've had cp you can then catch shingles from people who have chicken pox.

I remember coming home from work the day before and feeling awful, hubby said I was green and I just didn't feel right so went to bed and woke up in middle of night and went for pee and looked in mirror and there the spots started!! If you get it in later life its often worse, and it was for me, I was so ill for about 10 days and had spots everywhere, up my nose, on inside of eyelids, in ears, on my bits!! So I hope you don't get it!!!!

as for lo, they generally cope with it better than adults, plenty of calomine lotion, that really soothes the itch and try not to let lo scratch them as thats when they scar, also some paracetomol with help and lots of cuddles. They are contagious until the spots have scabbed over too so keep her indoors for a while yet.

hope lo is better soon and htat you don't get it!!

• Options
    Thank you for replying!

Oh i just feel so sorry for her! She was sick during the night and it was just awful. Going to need to get some of that calomine lotion for her this afternoon.

I hope I don't catch it either! It sounds awful when you had it! x
  • Options
    use Virasoothe - its brilliant!!!

Its about ??7 but it works a treat. Its a clear gel very easy to apply and soaks in fast its especially for chicken pox soothes the skin, stops itching and reduces scarring.
    Amy had it about a month ago and calamine lotion was a apin to put on this stuff is brilliant!
    some info about it http://www.boots.com/en/ViraSoothe-Chickenpox-Relief-Cooling-Gel-75g_1002773/

sorry to say chances of you catching it are quite high if youve not had it all those kisses and cuddles your bond to pick it up - sorry!

also loads of calpol and you can get Piriton which helps itching and helps them sleep good luck!!!
  • Options
    use Virasoothe - its brilliant!!!

Its about ??7 but it works a treat. Its a clear gel very easy to apply and soaks in fast its especially for chicken pox soothes the skin, stops itching and reduces scarring.
    Amy had it about a month ago and calamine lotion was a apin to put on this stuff is brilliant!
    some info about it http://www.boots.com/en/ViraSoothe-Chickenpox-Relief-Cooling-Gel-75g_1002773/

sorry to say chances of you catching it are quite high if youve not had it all those kisses and cuddles your bond to pick it up - sorry!

also loads of calpol and you can get Piriton which helps itching and helps them sleep good luck!!!
  • Options
    Thank you for replying!

I went to Boots yesterday and they gave me a few things for her. I asked them about the ViroSoothe but they told me not to bother? They gave me the piriton like you said so fingers crossed it all works! x
  • Options
    Hey,
    Ellie is recovering from this poor love had her bday party on sat (she was 2 yesterday) & all her pics she has pox in!

She was covered in them around her bottom & they were very sore & weepy & bleeding but thankfully she's on the mend.
    I used baby pirition & nurofen & calamine lotion & she wasn't too bad with them just didn't like the coldness of the lotion!

Hope your LO is better soon
    Lauren xx
  • Options
    Aw its such a shame when you see them see ill.
    Thats the way lo is with chickenpox too - doing the same using pirirton, calpol and some calamine lotion. Just wishing them away asap! Glad Ellie is getting better!x