Forum home Toddlers & older children Children's health
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Tonsilitus

Hi ladies, I'm after some advice if possible.
JD (19 months) has been ill all weekend and yesterday morning was diagnosed with tonsilitus. He's on antibiotics and picking up ok - has actually eaten today and his fever has come right down, but he's still not drinking very much at all, and I'm getting worried now. I know there are high calorie drinks out there that replace lost glucose and fluids etc but no idea where I can get them from or what to look out for.

I've tried loads of different things with him, from juices and squashes to flavoured milks etc, but he isn't interested in anything, so figured if I can get a little bit of a higher cal drink down him it will be better than just squash. I read somewhere that full sugar pepsi made flat can be good for them? Dread to think what his poor teeth will end up like though!

Thanks - from a very exhausted mummy!!!

Replies

• Yeah you're probably right about the food - now that hes eating anyway!

I managed to get a little bit down him this afternoon and it only took me half an hour to get him to go to sleep!!! I was shocked!!! Not sure how long he will stay asleep though...

I used to suffer from it all the time - finally had them out 3 years ago, was the best thing I ever did!! Other than have lo of course :lol:

Just hope he starts sleeping properly - I'm almost 8 weeks pregnant and still in the exhausted stage so this is killing me!!
  • Hi Garfield, Toby has just had tonsilitis too (but Dr said only mildly). The penicillin kicked in really quickly and he was pretty much back to his normal self 48hrs later (of course we kept on with the meds tho!).
    My Dr said the same as Lara says - there is fluid in their food - more than we think - so as long as they are drinking something, even just small sips, and they are having wet nappies - it'll be fine.
    Hope he perks up soon! xxx
  • He slept!!! OMG HE SLEPT!!!! Took me half an hour to get him to sleep (big improvement) and he woke up twice - once at 9 and went straight back to sleep, second time at 2.15 when the carbon monoxide alarm decided the battery was running low and it woke us both up, he went straight back to sleep and I had to wake him up at half 7 to give him his anti-biotics!!!!

I still feel shattered but hopefully he'll have a few good nights and I might start feeling human again!!! Plus he ate a full breakfast and pinched some of mine as well image

He's had exactly 2 days worth of doses of the penicillin so looks like you were spot on, MummyJoo!! Thanks for the reassurance from you both image
    xx