Forum home Toddlers & older children Children's health

how do i stop her coughing :(

evening ladies ,well im up at this ungodly hour with my dd who cannot stop coughing for more than 10 seconds!!! ive tried everything ,juice,medicine,lying her propped up,on her side EVERYTHING now im resorting to being downstairs for fear of wacking oh with something for lying there with his eyes shut!!!

she is currently happily wandering around the living room ,clapping at dancing on ice and riding her car!! i however need to be in bed :roll:

any tips what to do to help her stop coughing long enough to fall asleep??

please???

a very tired lisa

xxxxxxxx

Replies

• Hi, bit late now I know but if she's still coughing tonight why not try some vapour rub on her chest and back?? You can buy an infant one or normal vicks rub is fine too.

Also place a bowl of water in her room for some moisture, this should also help

hope you're not feeling too tired this morning!!
  • i brought a vapour plug in, it helped ds n dd stop coughing when they had colds xx
  • assuming she over 1, u cld try making her a honey and lemon drink before bed, putting some vicks or karvol in a bowl on the rad might help too xx
  • i use either karvol drops, olbas kids, vapour rub or snuffle babe, these all work so much better than any cough medicine, i also recently bought a tixylix vapour fan thing which is fab too xx
  • Believe it or not a couple of people in work was telling me about putting vics on the soles of the feet and putting socks on top. It is supposed to work. One of them found it by googling it and they done it and it worked a treat for night. Another girl has done it in the past. Might be worth a try.
  • thanks for all your replies ,she isnt coughing so far tonight ,louise and kara i read that on google last night too ....strange eh xxxx
  • thanks for all your replies ,she isnt coughing so far tonight ,louise and kara i read that on google last night too ....strange eh xxxx
  • def do the vics on feet trick i have done it loads of times with hayden and it has helped each time!!!
  • i've always doone vicks on soles of feet too, my nan used to do it if we had colds as kids and it's always just stuck with me...not sure if works tho lol xx
  • interesting about the feet!

DD has been coughing at night for about a month now... It's not too bad and just gets bad around 6:00 a.m. to wake her up.... I've had the humidifier in her room with a Vicks pad in it (eucalyptus) and seems to be helping... I also use a homeopathic honey suppressant but can't say it works that well... I just saw on TV that ginger works but I think it's more geared to adults b/c they say to grate it and swallow the juice....

I'm taking her to the doc on Friday for a checkup - she's had this cough for a month now and her eye looks like conjunctivitis and that seems like too long to me... Hopefully its nothing too serious and she's on the mend...

How is your dd now?
  • i will try the vicks on the soles of her feet next time she has a coughing fit!! ..frillypink she is ok ,teething which is the cause of the cough and snot!! ..she isnt her usual happy self to be honest i cant wait for the next set of teeth to come through now ....hope your dd is ok..my ds used to have night coughing alot and we had an inhaeler in the end to help stop it which worked xxxxxxx
  • i will try the vicks on the soles of her feet next time she has a coughing fit!! ..frillypink she is ok ,teething which is the cause of the cough and snot!! ..she isnt her usual happy self to be honest i cant wait for the next set of teeth to come through now ....hope your dd is ok..my ds used to have night coughing alot and we had an inhaeler in the end to help stop it which worked xxxxxxx
  • funny you mention teeth because I noticed a few days ago when she had her mouth open that one of the last 4 molars is FINALLY coming through(she's 25 months) - she has a green snotty nose (sorry tmi!) too but I thought she might have a case of sinusitis...

I'll have to discuss teething with the doc - I'm hoping that's all it is!