Forum home Toddlers & older children Children's health

Diarrhea/virus. Any suugestions please :-)

Hi Ladies

Maiya had a chest infection first and had antibiotics for that. She seemed to be getting better then 1 week later she wqs sent home from nursery wit a temperature and she really wasn't herself at all. She was lethargic and temp up and down. I took her back tot he docs who said chest better but prob just unlucky and picked up a virus. Now for the last 4 days she has had diarrhea. The temperature has gone and she seems happier in herself (although not 100%). She has started to eat again a bit but has the most awful diarrhea after she eats. it doesn't seem to bother her though. Have given her diorlyte (soz spelling). Not sure what to do for the best. Has anyone else had anything similar? i'm sure if i take her back to the docs they will just say virus!! any thoughts/suggestions. it really is super yukky!!

thanks image

Replies

• we are always told that by the time a virus gets to the diarrhea stage (as long as there is no vomiting still going on) that the bug has pretty much worked its way out and the diarrhea is the last remnants of it coming out - have to say we've noticed this to be pretty accurate in our two, once the runny poos have stopped they've had no signs of the bug left...
    having said that 4 days seems a bit long (our two's maybe lasts 2-3 days) so it could be worth taking them back to the gp again - even if they do just say its a virus - you can ask them to do a stool sample to make sure image

keep going with the diarolyte, and another thing I am always told is cut out/down dairy when they have diarrhea as it can irritate it sometimes.

HTH and your lo is better soon!

xx
  • Hello hun
    Eoin recently had a horrid stomach bug and the diarrhoea was very bad! It lasted well over a week. All I would suggest foe now is to make sure she drinks lots of water and try to keep her diet bland so that her stomach and bowels get a chance to recover. I would try banana, rice, dry toast, breadsticks ect..
    good luck hun, hope shes better soon xxx

[Modified by: Palmtree on March 08, 2010 12:39 PM]

• I think J had something similar at the moment, like your lo he seems totally unbothered by it so Im not too worried. If it carrys on no harm in popping back the Docs just to ease your mind x
  • We had something similar a lil while ago. We had 2days of vomiting, followed by 5-6 days of really bad diarrhea. We did visit docs on day 2 of vomiting and he said just bug and was more worried about constipation as DS wouldn't keep water down. Little did that Doctor know when I had 5 days of constant outift changes, blankets washing, and even mummy changes of clothes!

But he carried on quite happily throughout apart from the minute before the Diarrhea came out, when he obviously knew something was about to happen! Just cleared up and was fine!

We did try and stick to a bland diet but my DS will only eat fruit when he's ill, which probably doesn't help much!
  • Hi Ladies

Thanks do much for your replies. i think you should all train as doctors!! Things seem to be settling down (fingers crossed) and she is back to her normal noisy/bouncy self. It's so worrying att he time as they get ill so quickly. On the plus side though they seem to bounce back just as quick!!

Hope all your LO's are doing well.

Thanks again for putting my mind at rest image