Forum home Getting pregnant Conception & fertility problems
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

First Gynae Appointment!

Really happy got my date for my first gynae appt today, only got referred on friday and appt is 4th april so didn't think that was too bad at all!

Just wondered if anyone could give me any advice on what to expect on my first appointment? What are they likely to do? I've already had a scan and got my results and been sent for complete blood tests. Am i likely to be prescribed clomid or similar straight up or more investigations?

Thnaks for your help

xx

Replies

• Options
    first app i had i hadnt had the blood tests. the doc perscribed me something to end the cycle i was currently on, but told me to wait a week (which would make it 2 weeks since ov), do a hpt then start the tablets, then theyd do the bloods, my scan was booked that day too and the dr said after the results came back id be getting clomid.

anyway, i did the hpt and it was positive so i didnt have anything else done! but they still did the scan to check the embryo was in the correct place, and she was.

ive been trying 6 months for the second baby now and the dr is doing bloods this month, scan booked and waiting to find out when my hosptal app is! hopefully i wont need it again.
  • Options
    Hello wispa

I got refered mid march and got my first appointment 1st April! Bit worried when I got my booking letter from the gp as it said to wait for a 2ww appointment with gyn, which I thought meant cancer (not that I think I do of course!, just don't want to be sat in the wrong clinic...). I've decided to assume that the hospital will have seen why I've been refered and put me in the right clinic!

Are you taking husband? Mine isn't very keen and would find it hard to get time off with only 2 weeks notice, so I'm not pushing it, but I'd quite like him there! I'm not sure they'll need him- I can give his medical history, and the problems, for now at least are mine. He hasn't give a sample for SA yet- not sure how I've let him get away with so little!
  • Options
    Hi pumpkin,

Wow, i was impressed with my shortish wait time for an appointment but yours was very really short!

I think oh is going to come along cos it's at the end of the day and its easy fro him to meet me there. He hasn't done SA yet either. Do you think they will make him do that first before prescribing me anything? Hope not, cos dont want everythign delayed.

Why did you think the clinic was cancer related hun?

• Options
    Hey wispa,

I only thought about cancer as I thought that's what a 2ww (2 week wait) appointment was.. I not worried, but don't want to turn up to my appointment for them to say I'm in the wrong place! I think I'm just being stupid, but I'm amazed how quick I've got an appointment- for the moment I think the nhs is ace!

Hope no SA is ok. I asked my gp, she said she could arrange for Hubbie to have a day to drop in a sample, but didn't think it would be needed yet- I don't have periods at all so I'm def the prob at the mo. I hope they don't demand a sample before they give me clomid, but I can kind of see why they might- no point me getting pilled up if there's no hope... (look at me getting Sooo optimistic already!)

Only got letter on Friday after work, so fingers crossed work'll let me off with only 10 days notice, and no good explanation as keeping it stum, obviously! I think I'll vaguely mention "womens problems"!
  • Options
    Hi Wispa,

I'm in the same boat as you, I have my first appointment on the 21st April and I'm wondering what to expect, I really hope they just give me a medication to help me ovulate as I don't think I am, and my periods are still not regular and I end up missing about 3 months then coming on, let me know how you get on xXx
  • Options
    Hi Amelia,

It's the waiting and unknown that's so hard isn't it? I'll keep you posted and update the thread once I've been hun.

Have you been diagnosed with PCOS?