Forum home Getting pregnant Conception & fertility problems
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Scan, metformin,results Advice please

Hi ladies, I had bloods taken in July which showed I was polycystic. I then had a scan beginning of August that I get results of on monday. The ultrasonographer said that left ovary looked grossly normal. The right was enlarged and polycystic. Will the gp give me metformin and clomid or will I have to go to fc? How long will I have to wait if I do get refered (approx)?

Replies

• GPs can't prescribe clomid, they can metformin, but mine doesn't use it. Those that do use metformin only give it to people who are overweight I think.

I had to go to a fertility clinc, but I got to see them quickly, about 3weeks, and got clomid from there.

Hope things move quickly for you

Kx
  • How long did you have to wait to be reffered? I only ask as i was diagnosed with pcos 4 years ago and put on pill. Ive come off now, all symptoms returned and im ttc. Been doing ovulation test and not ovulated as yet. I just didnt know how long i would have to wait. Surely not a year again, since i already know i have a problem.

I would be so grateful of any advice as im totally confused.

Oh, been TTC #3 for 2 months now
  • 6 months if there's a known problem.

Kx
  • Hi Alibibabe,

I think it must depend on the GP as to what they will prescribe. With my first pregnancy (and different GP), I Was first given 21 day bloods and scan. Showed PCOS so she referred me to a consultant who prescribed metformin (my BMI is normal - it was to induce ovulation and regulate periods). I then had to have HSG scan before she would give me clomid. Luckily I got pregnant the cycle after the HSG so didn't need the clomid. Now have a wonderful 2yr old boy.

I then moved GPs as we moved house (though the GP is in the same town). This GP is fabimage I went to her becasue my periods hadn't returned 9 months after the birth so she prescribed me metformin (again - healthy BMI JUST!). This regulated my cycles but I still wasn't pregnant so she (the GP) prescribed 6 months of clomid with scans and blood tests throughout. SHe said she didn't need to refer me to the FC as she was happy that she understood the problem and was happy to prescribe.

I tested early this month at 10 days post ov and got a faint line (yayimage) am now 13 days post ov and crossing my fingers, toes...that it is a sticky. Such a wanted baby.

Anyway, that is my experience of 2 GPs in the same town (in Berks) and same PCT and they both took different approaches.

ALl the best, I know how scary it is when they tell you. I burst into tears at my first scan when they told me about the cysts and the sonographer was so lovely, she said of all the possible infertility issues PCOS was one of the best to have as there are so many possible treatments - I would just need a bit of help. She was right! Good luckimage
  • i ws given metformin for my diabetes and then upped dose for my PCOS...

I got to see FC quite quickly, too. 2 weeks after diagnosis. Not prescribed chlomid yet, still doing "diet" work ... once wedding is out of the way though I will be asking for more support and help! xx