Forum home Getting pregnant Conception & fertility problems
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

PCOS so much information to take in

I just got diagnosed with PCOS. My husband and i have been ttc for 12 months, my GP won't refer me to the fertility clinic until ttc 18 months, even with PCOS. So i've been researching everything i can find, still so much to learn. My doc didn't tell me anything just that i had PCOS and i had to wait for a referral so i looked into it alone.

The frustrating side to waiting for NHS guidelines is feeling unsupported so i'm being strong and postitive that one day we will have our dream of having a child.

My plan is too diet and lose some weight, while maintaing insulin control. Exercising and getting my blood pressure a bit lower. I'm going to get some opk's and pre-seed and see if that helps. Maybe nature will take a kick start.

If not then in Dec/ Jan i get to go ask for my referral and then prob 10 weeks after get an appt and maybe start clomid.

Either way i'm thinking theres a lot of positive actions i can take and a lot of hope still : )

There's a lot of people saying agnus castus helps but some threads saying its not safe after ur pregnant, i'm not sure what to make of it. and DCI isotenol a vitamin B8 that has some evidence but not clinically proven is being brought in from abroad by some women and they say its really helpful, again i;m not sure if its for me. Understanding that my testosterone and insulin are all wacked out is just overwhelming, the risks that are increased getting pregnant, carrying a pregnancy and then for the rest of my life, the risks of diabetes etc its all awful but i keep telling myself, its not the worst and i just have to be healthier, guess i get to ignore those chocolates at work a bit more lol

If anyone knows any information or facts that could help me please let me know, i'm the newbee obsessed with information.

Hope your all have lots of baby luck xxx

Replies

• Hi hun,

I too have PCOS and am now 24 weeks and 6 days pregnant so stay hopeful.

I switched to a low GI diet (the dummies guide to PCOS is a great book to help with this and explains all about eating to maintain insulin levels etc). I also took agnus castus, I had no idea when I ovulated so I too it up to CD 26 the month I got pregnant and then stopped. We also used something similar to preseed (the boots version but I have forgotten the name) and did the deed every other day from CD6 to CD 24. I started doing all these things in January, then fell pregnant in February and got my BFP in March. I've also heard that exercise can help kick start ovulation.

Good Luck and keep your positivity up.

• Thank you hun, i'm going to give all that a go, fingers crossed i get a BFP soon too. The low GI diet sounds like the step i need with regular exercise : ) It's reassuring knowing people do get past PCOS : ) xxx

• Hi ladies. I too have PCOS and I now have a 2 year old son!!! Miracle child for sure. I did a low GI diet as well as a high protein diet. I used a protein shake called Isopure Zero Carb. It has 210 calories, 0 sugars and 50g of protein. I lost 60 lbs was and finally got pregnant!!! We are currently trying for muscle child number 2. It is possible. You can do it. 

Let me warn you, that some women with PCOS do not make breast milk! I was unaware this (as you know the doctors don't really say much and we have to research things). Well after months of trying breast feed I never made more than 2oz in an entire day! So just letting you know so you aren't taken off guard by this fact. Also, I ended up toxemia my last week and had to be induced! Good luck, and know you are not alone. ????

• I also just found out I have PCOS. You can still get pregnant. Don't get discouraged. The biggest thing is ratting healty and exercising! Also switch doctors! I did when my doctor didn't care. Now I have a doctor who is going to do whatever he can to help me! Stay positive!

• Why is the doctor making you try for 18 months? That's crazy! I was told a year and then they would begin to treat the couple. In my opinion, if there's already a fertility issue, trying for a year is futile anyway! 

There's lots of positive stories out there too though - so keep your chin up and BD for Englandimage  xx